1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct connection between Vista and XP for file sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by High7echRedneck, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. High7echRedneck

High7echRedneck Thread Starter

I am trying to connect my laptop which has XP to my desktop which has Vista 32 bit. i am able to figure out how to set up the laptop as a host but i cannot figure out how to make the desktop a guest... help????

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. High7echRedneck

your idea sounds good but my problem is that the desktop does not have two active network connections to make an ICS. For instance on an XP computer you can "create a new connection" and in doing so you can set up the computer such that if it is directly connected to another computer via a com 5 cable it can either be the host or guest for the sole purpose of file sharing....i am trying to get files/music from my old computer to my new one....

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you connect two computers directly to each other "host" and "guest" make no sense except in context. For example, with printer sharing I might speak of the computer with the printer as the "host" or with ICS I might speak of the computer(s) w/o direct internet connection as the client(s) or maybe even "guest(s)." So, maybe you should explain what you are trying to accomplish and/or your definitions of "host" and "guest."

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want to simply connect two machines to share files with no Internet in the picture, try this:

Configure the machines as follows.

PC #1:
    IP address: 192.168.9.1
    Subnet Address: 255.255.255.0

PC #2:
    IP address: 192.168.9.2
    Subnet Address: 255.255.255.0

Leave the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses blank.

Make sure any firewalls are configured to put the 192.168.9.x subnet in the trusted zone.

Finally, you'll have to enable fine/print sharing on the machines and actually share one or more folders or drives.

6. High7echRedneck

(TerryNet)
    sorry for my poor explanation but JohnWill has the idea of what i am tryin to accomplish, all i need to do is transfer over my music and data (files) from my old comp "directly" to the new one without using an external hard drive and or other storage device. I was informed by a friend that i could simply connect one machine with the other via an Ethernet cable, though neither of us know how.
    (JohnWill) i like the simplicity of your idea but could u explain to me how to accomplish it please?

Thank you both for tryin to help!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have a router and both computers can access the internet through it then they are already on the same network. If not, expanding on JohnWill's outline somewhat ...

Connect the two PCs via ethernet cable. If neither has an auto-sensing port it must be a cross-over cable (if you buy one it should be clearly marked on the package and the cable). [A Vista PC probably has an auto-sensing port.] To make things a little easier configure the TCP/IP properties with static IP addresses, as John advised.

If you have a 3rd party firewall (internet security) on either PC it must be configured for the desired LAN access.

Then you should be ready to proceed with the XP and Vista link at the beginning of post #2.

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sounds like you chose the Set up an Advanced Connection option from the New Connection wizard. That is for Direct Cable Connections (DCC) using serial, parallel, or InfraRed ports, not Ethernet. DCC uses the Host and Guest terminology.

If the Desktop doesn't have a serial, parallel, or InfraRed port (as many newer PCs don't, all USB now), that option won't be present to set it up as a guest (or host).

This Guide might help for connecting XP to Vista with a crossover cable.

This guide has you use Win+Break key combo to open System Properties -- if the laptop doesn't have a break key, just right click My Computer and choose properties, or goto Control Panel | System

HTH

Jerry

9. High7echRedneck

thank you all with this info i'm confident i will be successful now!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice