1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

direct disk access lockout

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bigdave17, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdave17

bigdave17 Thread Starter

Feb 3, 2002
    Good evening. I have never witnessed this message before.
    Windows has disabled direct disk access to protect your long filenames.

to override, see lock/? command in DOS

Ok. What is this? How do I override this?

The system is Windows 95 and on Aptiva. Not my system thank God but a good friends. Is buying a new whole set-up but wants to save a few things first before getting rid of old package.

CPU locked up, will not open up Windows, and has a screen showing every time which shows a dotted visual of a cpu and a keyboard. Double arrows point to F1 and another arrow points to floppy disk drive.

Never seen this before. All input is appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Dec 9, 2000
    Here's a couple of "whasups" from MS, don't know if they will help any...

Might be a good idea to try a DOS antivirus scan; be sure to write protect any floppies before loading them.

There is a free version of F-Prot for DOS which can be copied to two floppy disks. It creates a "ram" disk and runs from there, not needing an install to the hard drive directly. It should be able to find and repair many, if not most boot sector viruses:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/85690