1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct Modem Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Faustenberger, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Faustenberger

Faustenberger Thread Starter

I want to create a connection between my Vista and my 98se with their modems. In lieu of that, I want to at least be able to connect the two of them for old dos games that I like to play. How do I find out what number my modem is supposed to dial? Or, am I not thinking correctly?

2. Electron2418

Electron2418

Hi welcome to forum, well modems are not designed for connecting two PC together they are suppose to connect to your telephone line and they get max speed about 56kbps. why don't you connect your computers thought Ethernet connection.

3. Faustenberger

Well, I've been trying to, but I can't get my 98 to properly install the driver for our ethernet card. I've downloaded a few different drivers and automatic installation programs from the maker (realtek), but nothing seems to happen.

If it'll be any help, my ethernet card is a RealTek rlt8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are the "old DOS" games even network-aware? Networking wasn't common when DOS was the standard.

5. Faustenberger

Well, I know the main ones I want to play have options for "modem link" and "direct link", and one of them has "Network Game" which tells me to select which "node" it needs. The games are Dark Legions and WarCraft: Orcs and Humans, in case you're curious.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice