Direct or card reader?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cheese

Hey,

Im going to be purchasing my camera soon, and im wondering if i should get a cheapy card reader to read the SD card, or just direct connect the camera to the computer?

Which do you think is better?

Stevo

Definately get the reader---doesn't eat up your batteries and find it to be faster.

I agree.

It doesn't stop you connecting the camera if you want to, but I never bother to do so.
The card reader is just so much less of a problem, and usually means you do not need to use camera supplied software (a real bonus!)

I don’t use the camera supplied software or a card reader. That you can download only through dedicated software applies only to a few older model cameras. Maybe some Kodaks still fool around with an oddball download, but it is the exception if they do. If you don’t have XP you might have to install a driver. But if you don’t have XP you will probably have to install a driver for the card reader as well. They both show up the same way on the computer as a drive.

If you get a camera rated at “high speed” USB2 it will download at around 2mb a second with a good card installed. I don’t think card readers do any better. If you get “full speed” USB2 it is about half that.

Some cameras come with docks. You don’t want a card reader if your camera comes with a dock. My dock not only charges the camera, but shows up as a drive when I push the connect button.

My other two cameras fortunately come with the same end connector, so I have to keep only one USB cord hooked up for them. Battery drain has never been an issue. There is usually enough juice to download the pictures and format the card. Then the battery gets charged. The cord stays out of the way and doesn’t clutter desk space. That isn’t a factor if you are considering an internal card reader.

Occasionally someone damages a card inserting it. That can’t happen if you never remove the card.

My advice would be to try the camera without a reader. If it takes too long or you are running out of battery before they are downloaded get a reader.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online