1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

direct to cd recording?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Kerri Ann, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

is it possible to record live to a cdr drive from a mic? i wanted to know because lengthy recordings are too much for my omputer, if i'm recording to my hard drive. most times, it freezes up and i end up losing the recording!

2. lola2001

lola2001

I do a lot of recording to my hard drive also. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to directly record to a CD.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanks lola, i was just hoping...

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, does anyone know what a program that could record directly to a cd drive would entail? im not sure how recording works....

5. RSM123

RSM123

Not sure but you might like to check out NTrack here :

http://www.ntrack.com/

It would appear to be free at least on a trial - and there is a help forum to assist you in getting up and running.

Faling that try :

http://www.audiotools.co.uk

They too have a help forum should you need help looking for, or using a particular program.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd seriously consider fixing the computer. Let's say you could actually find a program that would record direct to the CD. If the computer died, as you have stated it's prone to do, the recording would be lost anyway. You have to close the recording on the CD, or it's worthless.

7. Sancho

Sancho

seems like i remember musicmatch being able to do that. not sure though.

8. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

where can i find musicmatch?

johnwill, i thought you could leave a cd "open" , close the session, and still continue recording to it at a later time. it just wouldn't be listenable until you closed it...

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

To answer your question, yes it is possible, but the systems cost thousands of $$$$.$$ and you would be much better of to just spend fifty bucks and get an extra hard drive to record on.

You have to close a CD or it is a coaster, but you are thinking about rewritable media that can be reused ;)

10. Sancho

Sancho

11. JohnWill

I have a number of computers that run weeks without being rebooted, and they don't lock up unless I run really bad software on them. :) I really think you're trying to solve the problem the hard way, the right way is to fix the computer!

12. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

by freezing up, i mean i have to use task manager to end the recording session. no restart or shutdown is required. i don't think my computer has ever totally locked up...
    wet chicken, do you know anything about these expensive fancy programs? like- how do they work?
    i'm just curious...
    (always curious)

13. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

oh and sancho, thanx for that, but i don't think musicmatch does.
    it has line in recording, but not directly to the cd.

14. JohnWill

I think you're on the impossible mission when looking for a direct-to-CD recording application. It's just not something that makes a lot of sense, given the issues with keeping data flowing to the CD for such an application, and the ease of buffering to a hard disk. Also, for such an application to work, the CD would have to be recorded at 1x speed, and very few modern CD's will record at that speed anymore. I don't have any drive that will allow less than 4x recording here.

15. lola2001

lola2001

I found a something called CD Right Plus that says it will record audio directly to CD. Scroll down the page to the end.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice