1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct Tv Dvr to computer

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by techchica, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techchica

techchica Thread Starter

Is there a way I can transfer all my movies from the dvr that I have with Direct Tv to my laptop?? I tried to goggle this.. but came up short...

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You'd have to call DirectTV to find out. The shows are almost certainly encrypted, so if DirectTV doesn't provide a method to transfer them, the only way would be to record them in real time through a video capture card.

3. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

i have dish & opted not to use their dvr, i purchased my own dvr & record what i want when i want & save dvd's or rewrite. don't think you can record off their dvr's.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

My guess would be no. Every proprietary DVR that I have encountered prevented the user from doing this, at least not without some hacking of the device. My advice would be a Media Center PC.

5. dgbradford52

dgbradford52

Direct TV Now has a program in beta called Directv2PC that allows you to transfer recorded or dvr'ed programs to watch on your PC if you have a tv capture card you may be able to record them to your PC. They also have Media Share in Beta but that is for music and videos and photos to be streemed to your TV from your PC. Please excuse the spelling. Very tired tonight.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

DirecTV2PC is a streaming service. It does not transfer recordings to a computer.

7. dgbradford52

dgbradford52

I have talked to a Direct TV tech and you can watch programs on your pc that have been recorded on your DVR. It takes a software download and some router configuration but it does work. I don't have the right Video Card to do the job. It is a cheap ATI 4350.
    Thank you Dave

8. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

That will stream them, but not transfer them.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929376