1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

direct x problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by leigh40, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

i have just installed project igi2 on my pc and it will not work!!!!!
    i have updated my direct x to 9 from the microsoft update site with no luck!!!
    each time i try to plat the game i get this error message

"direct x error message:D3DERR NOT AVAILABLE file :\project\igi2 b\2\pc\pc_direct 3d c. line 1082"

i have updated my graphics driver and still no luck!
    anyone got any ideas?

my system is 2100 xp athlon
    gforce4 mx 440
    512 mb of ddr ram
    msi bd
    30 gig hd
    thanks later

2. vesselle

vesselle

upgrade from dx9 to dx9.0b.

bring up your DXDIAG
    (start button
    (run command
    (type in DXDIAG
    (go to the video tab

then run all your D3D and Direct Draw tests and see what the diagnostic reports on both. tell us what it does.

also, what are the minimum specs for the game, esp as regards the video cards?

V***V

3. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

i have a 128 mb ddr ram gfroce mx 440 agp card, all my system specs are well above the games minimum req's.

4. vesselle

vesselle

didya run the DX diagnostic for D3D? what happened?
    have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the game?
    is there a patch for the game? is it installed?

V***V

5. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

not looked at it yet im not and home this weekend and will try out your advice on monday morning. thanks for all your help
    later

6. leigh40

leigh40 Thread Starter

when i run the direct x test thing i get this error message

"Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
    Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
    Direct3D 9 test results: The tests were cancelled before completing."

anyone got any ideas what thins means?
    thanks for any help
    later

7. metal1

metal1

Hi leigh 40, I am getting the same error codes in DXDIAG. All I did was install new Invidia drivers! How can I go back to the old ones? Halo worked ok before I upgraded drivers. This is very frustrating! Metal1

8. mykl_c

mykl_c

Metal1 & Leigh40 - try re-installing DX9 AFTER installing the latest detonator drivers. Which detonator version?? 45.23 is the latest WHQL certified driver from Nvidia. Check to see if you have the dual-view active with no secondary monitor (this can cause issues with games and some DVD players). Read http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/45.23/NVIDIA_Driver_Release_Notes_v45.23.pdf for more info.
    Do make sure you're installing DX9b.

9. metal1

metal1

Well, after a whole evening of frustration,I finally uninstalled the new Nvidia drivers and my motherboard graphics driver and reinstalled the older ones. Presto,I can now play all my games again.
    It seems the new Direct X files and any new display drivers are not compatible in Win98. I think this is Microsoft trying to phase out Win98 towards it's End of Life. Oh well, my machine is well again,at any rate.
    By the way, this process has to be done in safe mode since you will have no drivers available but the basic Windows drivers.
    Thanks everyone, Metal1

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice