DirectCD has stopped working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

George Butel

DirectCD is 1 of several programs in EasyCDPt5.0. Roxio's other CD making programs and Plextor's still work. But now I get a "Cannot create or replace the folder [name of folder]: Access is denied." If I try DirectCD on anything besides a folder, I get the additional message "Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." There are no refs to the error message on Roxio's system. I can live without DirectCD, and I'm sure I could uninstall and reinstall or perhaps go to an old system restore and probably get it to work, but I wonder if there is not something simple I have overlooked. I run WinMe OEM, and I'm not sure when the program stopped working since I don't use it often, so I can't correlate it with a particular change.

Hi George – welcome to the board.

Do you have the problem with a fresh DirectCD formatted RW? I’m thinking you might have closed it to read in any computer which would mean DirectCD can’t work with it anymore. It is also easy to get the table of contents (TOC) distorted with DirectCD.

George Butel

If you go to the DirectCD program and format a disc, then the program works as it should. However, DirectCD is added to the menu bar as an option of "Send to"; in my case, to put anything on CD, I would send to Drive F. Until recently, it would format the disc and write it in one operation. I am chagrinned to realize that I had forgotten about the formatting since the program used to do it automatically. This was extremely handy. Now I have to open the EasyCD creator program, format the disc, give it a title, and then go about my business. The horrible suspicion has dawned on me that making this process more inconvenient may have been a deliberate act of Roxio's instead of a malfunction; I do remember installing an update of their problem, I mean program. I thought that the whole point of calling it "DirectCD" was to be able to do it directly, as I used to.

I did not even know about the auto-format as the last version of DirectCD (or any packet writing) I had on my computer was over two years ago and version 2.5. I can see where they might have wanted to disable the auto-format feature (if there truly was one). The relationship between the completely different EZ CD Creator and DirectCD is already muddled in some user’s minds and that would make it worse. You seem to have the impression that EZ CD Creator will format a CD – absolutely not so.

Let me run you through the way it should work. If you put a blank (empty and unformatted) CDR or RW in the burner, DirectCD will sense it and open a window with choices. If you select the choice to use your burner so that it shows as another drive, DirectCD takes you through the format so you can packet write to the CD. HP and others in the past had utilities that allowed you to start actually writing to the disc after only about 5 minutes of format. I would hope that Adaptec/Roxio have integrated that into newer versions without the need for other utilities.

You format the CD only once. Any time a formatted CD is in the burner, DirectCD is active and you can’t use EZ CD Creator. I seriously doubt that there is or ever has been a feature that allows you to ignore the opening screen with a completely blank disc, leave the CD in the drive and activate DirectCD with a send to command. It is almost impossible that it could start writing right away while starting the formatting at the same time. You likely had a CD in the burner that had previously been formatted when you had the send to the CD drive available. It is only available when DirectCD is active and DirectCD is only active when a formatted CD is in the burner.

If you select any of the other choices when you insert a blank – a data CD that can be read in any computer, music or copy, then EZ CD Creator opens. EZCD is mastering software and works differently from DirectCD.

I wouldn’t trust an important back up to DirectCD. Never MOVE something important to your F drive – COPY it. Packet writing is fraught with dangers, and you should be careful to not trust important data to it. For one thing, if your computer gets a virus it will infect your F drive like any other if there is a formatted CD in the burner. The thing that most often bites packet writers is the loss of the table of contents (TOC). Any time you have a formatted CD in the burner with the computer on the TOC is in RAM. Any lock up or power loss is going to render the CD unreadable due to loss of the TOC. I think newer versions of DirectCD have a recovery utility, but it would be a hassle at best. I’ve seen dozens of posts on various boards from people with packet written data on a CD they couldn’t read.

I think most people gravitate away from packet writing as they gain experience with burners. It can be just as easy to back up using mastering software once you develop a system and the data is secure.

George Butel

Thanks for your effort. I just upgraded my Amiga to a Windows PC in February, so I am not used to the miracles of Mr. Gates, et al, yet. I just uninstalled and reinstalled EZCD, & tried to reproduce the phenomenon of a formatting window notice appearing after sending to Drive F, followed by an automatic copy, then I tried again with 5.01 and 5.02 updates--no result. I then tried it with the other programs open that might share resources--the ATI, the Live!Drive and the Plextor programs, and still could not reproduce it. The thing is, I was mainly interested in the sound recording/editing and never used or intended to use Direct CD, and only discovered it as a new drop and drag function accidentally. (My ABS system came with a ludicrous amount of software.) I had decided to install Partition Magic two months ago so I could have a little Amiga partition, and, being wary, decided to save all my dl programs and updates (which I save in a folder in case of reinstalls) and email and favorites, and I made two cds using the protocol I mentioned. The cds were out of a new pkg and unformatted. I haven't installed Partition Magic though because their manual said something about a possible conflict with the Live!Drive drivers, so I decided to wait a few months for them to get rid of the bugs. Anyway, I am now at a total loss to explain how the Direct CD program could have done what it did--though that's the way it OUGHT to work. It does work the way it was intended to, so let's consider this one resolved. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online