1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Directories and Files on HDD no longer visible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aaarrrrrrrgh, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaarrrrrrrgh

Aaarrrrrrrgh Thread Starter

Recently I performed a clean install of Windows 10 on my PC.

All of my Data was on a separate Storage HDD, which I thought I would be able to access after the install. I had disconnected the said drive so that the data wouldn't be lost or wiped during the install.

The drive consisted mainly of Folders that contained Photos and other items that I would like to access again. I purchased an IDE to USB cable, which I thought would enable me to read those Folders and Files and then copy them to a new location. This unfortunately has not been the case.

Windows sees the drive, claiming that 56GB has been used, however, I am not seeing any meaningful Folders or Files. It is like they are invisible. I have tried "making hidden files visible"- No Luck there. I downloaded a free copy of MiniTool to see what results I would get running a scan - The recovered files unfortunately didn't recover the Folders structure that I was hoping for. It would be beneficial to get the Folder Structure to see what's what.

Any advice or utilities that could aid the recovery of the Folder structure and the files would be most appreciated.

2. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

What are the specifications of your system? What is the brand, storage capacity and speed of your hard drives? Is your "separate Storage HDD" an internal or external drive? Why did you purchase an IDE to USB cable to access the data hdd? How did you access it before purchasing this cable?

It sounds like you were reinstalling Windows 10. What was the reason for the reinstallation? It's not clear why you aren't seeing your data if that drive was not connected during the reinstall. My guess is your data is ok. When you say that "Windows sees the drive..." is this in Windows Explorer or Disk Management? What does Disk Management tell you about the status of the drive? Do you see the drive in Device Manager?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice