1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Directory name is invalid

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by oldjunk, Oct 9, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. oldjunk

oldjunk Mike Thread Starter

I made a test video on a Dell monitor webcam. Both audio and video were successful. Then I made a DVD of the test video using ImgBurn software. Everything appeared to be functioning properly.

The problem is, I get a "Directory name is invalid." message in both VLC Player and 5KPlayer when put in DVD mode. Also, occasionally I get a "No disc in drive." message when the disk is, in fact, in the drive.

At first I got a message that stated "VLC is unable to open MRL.

I've tried these programs on both Windows Vista and Windows 10 OSs. The DVD was made on Vista.

I've searched for an answer online to no avail.

Any solutions?

2. Sponsor

3. kenbok51

kenbok51

Imgburn will not create a dvd compatible video from just any files, to do that you need to convert the webcam video into a dvd format using something like DVDFlick. A proper dvd disc when viewed in windows explorer will have two folders, video_ts and audio_ts. The audio_ts is no longer used and is empty but for compatibility reasons it is still included. If you put a store bought dvd in your optical drive you can look at it in windows explorer and see the format I mentioned above. If that format is not present it will not be recognized as a dvd in a set top player. The actual video inside the video_ts folder will be in the vob format which is actually mpeg just not labeled as such. Many set top players will recognize mpeg files burned onto a dvd or cd disk though.

4. oldjunk

Thanks. So, do I download DVDFlick and somehow apply it to another program? Please be specific. I've never done this before.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Many DVDFlick tutorials on YouTube.
    Here's one

What you are trying to do is usually a two step process ..
    1: Edit the Video ... To your liking.
    2: Author a DVD ... If you want to watch it on a DVD player.

DVDFlick is a Video Authoring tool.
    DVDs are Poor Quality to todays standards ... Use a better media if you can.

A good video editor can do both ...
    I'm not familiar with any freeware video editor that can do both ???
    I use Adobe Premiere Elements (Not Free)

6. oldjunk

Thank you both, kenbok51 and Noyb. Everything worked out great!

I'll also try the DaVinci Resolve video editor program.

When you say: "Use a better media if you can.", what is considered a better media? Thumb drive?

Also, if I want to post this video to Facebook, does it need to be saved to file or can it be posted directly from the DVD?

The reason I needed to make a DVD is that Facebook doesn't accept video from Windows Vista, which is where I have the Dell monitor webcam attached. I thought if I made a DVD and ran it on Windows 10, it would transfer to Facebook. Maybe not - I'll find out.

Thanks again.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

A DVD will only hold a video with 720x480 resolution...
    This is really poor nowadays.

A Thumb Drive will hold whatever you put on it ... (If it's has enough gigs.)
    I typically put 128ox720 on my Flash Drives and let my Smart TV read them.
    This is also the resolution I upload to YouTube.

You should be able to upload the output of you Editor/Camera ... (Vista or others) ...
    As long as the videos are YouTube's supported file types

You'll have to rip the video files from a DVD before you could upload it to YouTube.
    What is the file type of your videos ????
    Let us know what you think of DaVinci Resolve

8. oldjunk

I'm unclear about what to do next. Can you walk me through this process? For now, I'll stick with the recorded DVD.
    Do I download DaVinci on my Windows 10 machine and then rip the video? What do you mean by "rip"? Then is the end result transferred to file and uploaded to Facebook?

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Very Roughly stated :D ...
    An Audio CD does not contain an audio file ..
    And a Video DVD does not contain a video file.
    It requires a program to read the disc .. Then "Rip" (extract) the video or audio file.
    I'd use Handbrake and Rip the video DVD .. (extract the mp4 video files)

Then .. You could edit the mp4 in DaVinci .. if it needed editing ..
    and upload the video from DaVinci ... or the mp4 from Handbrake to YT

This is working around the process of Authoring a Video DVD

10. kenbok51

kenbok51

Your dvd will not be up-loadable to facebook that is why it's recommended to rip the dvd using handbreak into mp4 but as mentioned above it will be in the 480 by 720 dvd format and not high definition. If your original video (before creating the dvd) is HD then use handbreak on that to keep the higher resolution (1280x720 which is 720p HD or 1080p whatever) to make an mp4 file. There is a freeware app called mediainfo that allows you to view the specifics of almost any video or audio contents. You can use it to open with or drag and drop your original video to see what video and audio codecs were used as well as the bitrate. The bitrate of the original video is what you would want to set in handbreak to keep the file size similar, or lower to get the file small enough for facebooks requirements which may have a limit to size or resolution. If 720x480 is all you want, you can also copy the dvd's main vob file to your hard drive (if there is only one main vob) and convert that with handbreak or avidemux freewares to mp4 or in the case of avidemux several types including avi. Avidemux allows you to edit parts out of a video as well and if set to copy video and copy audio will do those edits super fast.

11. oldjunk

The video was created on a 2008 Dell monitor SP2208 WFP. The camera software is Dell Webcam 2.0. I'm assuming, because of their age, both the camera and software are incapable of creating a high def image. Will the programs you suggest be compatible? If properly applied, should I expect they will improve the results?

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

VLC cannot open a mrl >>>> SEE HERE
    What file format is your video in ????

You can Never get more definition than the original Video.
    But a good Video editor can adjust for lighting, exposure, color ...etc..
    just like an Image Editor.
    My Premiere Elements Video editor has some of the same correction tools as my Photoshop Image editor.
    I'm not familiar with DaVinci

I don't ? think ? the DVD you made is a Video DVD ... A video DVD has vob files in it.
    If it has vob files .. copy them to a folder and change the file extension from vob to mpg.
    Then they should play .... And one (or more of them) might be the video(s) you want.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  13. oldjunk

Yes, I'd seen that YT clip twice before contacting TSG. Closing the firewall made no difference.

I'll try using the suggested Mediainfo to view the DVD's specifics. Then I'll move over to Avidemux for editing.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Be careful with Mediainfo ... ?? As I remember ?? ...
    It's one that might come with Junkware.

Choose custom install ... And do NOT give it permission to install JunkWare ..
    Is the usual procedure to avoid installing Junkware.

It's not in the list >>> Installers Hall Of Shame ... But be careful anyway

15. oldjunk

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197636