1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

directory / pagefile corrupt - what do i do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mylifestory, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mylifestory

mylifestory Thread Starter

my pc recently came up wit the following mesage & it has slowed down a lot. Ive asked a couple of tecchies i know who both said completely things so asking on here as you're usually right! :)

The file or directory \pagefile.sys is corrupt & unreadable. Please
    run the chkdsk utility.

So what do I do? Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Run the chkdsk utility

3. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Type in the run box chkdsk c:/f windows will tell you the drive is in use and ask you if you want to run check disk on a reboot just say yes.

4. mylifestory

will try this in the next day or 2 - thanks! is it something i should stay & watch it do or can i leave the pc to it & will it take long?

5. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

No it won't take long but I'm in error run the chkdsk c:/f from the command prompt so windows key+R to open run box then type cmd(to open command prompt) then the chkdsk c:/f

6. mylifestory

hi lozzy-loz,

i tried this but the message i got back is :

the type of the file system is nfts.

cannot lock current drive.

should i have all programs closed when i do this?

thanks!

7. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

I'll just re-write the format chkdsk c:/f it will tell you the drive is locked but should ask you if you would like to run after a reboot and the answer is yes.

8. mylifestory

if i wait i get the message, that chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. would i like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n?

dos this mean i have things open on my pc that i need to shut dowm first & which are they??

many thanks with help with this - dont know where id be without you!

9. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Chkdsk needs total access to the system and can`t check it while the system`s running, that`s why it`s asking you to run the application after a reboot.

Jenny

10. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

As Jenny says C will always be in use so answer the y/n with "y"without the quotes and reboot checkdisk will then run before the o/s starts so C won't be locked and all should be well

11. mylifestory

chkdsk completed but it doesnt seem to have made much difference to speed of pc, still very slow.

i asked a tecchie friend who said i should :

That's your page file. Go to system in control panel, and find paging or virtual memory. Set it to none, restart the PC, then reset it to manage automatically

what do you think?

12. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Turning of the page file would delete any thing corrupt in it then letting windows manage it would start the page file afresh.This however would not speed up your computer.Uninstall any unwanted programs stop all unnecessary programs at startup clean up temporary files this program will help(don't run the registry cleaner) http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

13. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

14. mylifestory

hmmm, pc slowed down when i got that message above .... ive recently deleted progs starting on opening up pc, which if the 2 above should i try? ;-) It now specifically takes ages when i click on any page even outlook & have to wait ages for a response which it never did before ....

15. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

I would try the Revo uninstaller first it also has a startup manager and file cleaner.First we need to know why the pc is running slow open the task manager look at processes and see which is using the most cpu power.Have you only one virus scanner running?.Failing all this post a hijack this log and a more advanced member can look at it for you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice