directsound and directmusic not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cptpooface

An error message popped up on my screen when I tried to play a game today, it said "error initializing directsound." I went on the internet and found out that means something is wrong with the drivers for your sound card, or something like that. So I ran dxdiag to see what it said about my sound input, I went to the test directsound and got an error message too. The dxdiag screen looked like this:

Description: Modem #0 Line Playback (emulated)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID:
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 81
Type: Emulated
Driver Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Attributes:
WHQL Logo'd:
Date and Size:
Other Files:
Driver Provider:
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

I also tested directmusic, and it came up with a failure at step 6 saying that the directsound was in use by another caller, same thing as with the directsound test. I wiped my hard drive a few days ago and so I figure I just need to reinstall the drivers. I used the drivers disc that came with the computer but it didn't solve the problem. I don't have any special soundcard, I just have the same sound system that came with the computer, is there anywhere I can download the drivers, or anyway to fix the problem? All my video drivers are updated and I have directx 9.0c. Thanks for the help.

what directsound version you use?

most games which require higher versions...have copy of file on their installation CD

Also note WinXP doesn't support all games yet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online