1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DirectSound error code 88780078

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoyDetective, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BoyDetective

BoyDetective Thread Starter

here is a link to a screenshot of the error message i have

http://pod.hyvig.com/jyg/misc/BadSoundDriver.JPG

I have no sound! "no audio device connected"

I have no idea what happened.

This all went downhill after I installed Norton System Works and Zone Alarm Pro.

Please help! My soundcard is fine!

2. norton850

norton850

If you go into Device Manager what does it say about your sound card?

3. BoyDetective

It's not listed.

Under sound, video, and game controllers, "Legacy Audio Drivers" is listed along with some other things.

I have no mini speaker icon in the system tray.

Control panel, sounds and audio devices=no device listed.

This is crazy, I've had all this stuff go wrong out of nowhere....

EDIT: I was uninstalling some things and found "Realtek AC97 Audio" hope this helps!

4. BoyDetective

here are my installed audio codecs

ACM 0x0011 Microsoft IMA ADPCM CODEC Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> imaadp32.acm
    ACM 0x0002 Microsoft ADPCM CODEC Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> msadp32.acm
    ACM 0x0006 Microsoft CCITT G.711 A-Law and u-Law CODEC Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> msg711.acm
    ACM 0x0007 Microsoft CCITT G.711 A-Law and u-Law CODEC Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> msg711.acm
    ACM 0x0031 Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> msgsm32.acm
    ACM 0x0022 DSP Group TrueSpeech(TM) Software CODEC DSP GROUP, INC. quartz.dll --> tssoft32.acm
    ACM 0x0042 Microsoft G.723.1 CODEC Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> msg723.acm
    ACM 0x0160 Windows Media Audio Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> msaud32.acm
    ACM 0x0161 Windows Media Audio Microsoft Corporation quartz.dll --> msaud32.acm
    ACM 0x0130 Sipro Lab Telecom ACELP.net audio codec Sipro Lab Telecom Inc. quartz.dll --> sl_anet.acm
    ACM 0x0402 Indeo® audio software Intel Corporation quartz.dll --> iac25_32.ax
    ACM 0x0055 Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced) Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS quartz.dll --> l3codeca.acm
    DMO 0x0160 WMAudio Decoder DMO Microsoft Corporation qasf.dll --> wmadmod.dll
    DMO 0x0162 WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO Microsoft Corporation qasf.dll --> wmadmod.dll
    DMO 0x000a WMSpeech Decoder DMO Microsoft Corporation qasf.dll --> wmspdmod.dll
    DSH 0x0001 ATI MPEG Audio Encoder ATI Technologies, Inc. atimpenc.dll
    DSH 0x0050 MPEG Audio Decoder quartz.dll
    DSH 0x0055 MPEG Layer-3 Decoder Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS l3codecx.ax
    DSH 0x0161 Windows Media Audio Decoder Microsoft Corporation msadds32.ax
    DSH 0x0130 ACELP.net Sipro Lab Audio Decoder Sipro Lab Telecom Inc. acelpdec.ax
    DSH 0x0050 CyberLink Audio Decoder (ATI) CyberLink Corp. claud.ax
    DSH 0x0050 Nero Digital Audio Decoder Nero AG NeAudio.ax

I've also downloaded the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer and installed them. From here: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard.cfm?pMotherboard=650M02-G-6L

that still does nothing but install the Realtek AC97 program, AVrack.

This is an onboard soundcard, could this component have fried? What else can I do?

5. BoyDetective

Reinstallation of Windows XP still does not solve the problem

Hitting "R" for repair with the recovery CD, I am asked for an admin username and password.

It's a black old DOS style screen. I have no idea here. I'm going to rip out my old game/sound card from my old Windows Mistake Edition computer, this is rediculous.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled the Realtek drivers. I've done the same with the audio drivers on my motherboards site. The OS just does not see the device. It's onboard audio. I don't understand it.

6. BoyDetective

SUCCESS! Sort of. While trying to solve some of my other problems, the BIOS was set into its own Safe Mode, (not the normal safe mode that's a part of windows), and the realtek ac97 device was disabled. I feel like an idiot. All this after I have an old sound card already pulled out ready to install.

7. badguy82

badguy82

i tried goin to BIOS but i'm not able to see what u saw. Please help to explain how did you do it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice