directx 8.1 beta issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

volrathxp

ok, got a question for everyone. is there any way to uninstall, or reinstall directx 8.0a after installing the 8.1 beta once it expires w/o reloading the system? i'm curious about this and have been searching for this answer for a long time. thanks much in advance!

volrathxp

directx buster doesn't work for windows 2000, fortunately, i have already found the answer to this. but thanks for trying!

volrathxp

ok i got this off of VIA Hardware Forum. I am going to be testing it tomorrow so we shall see how it works. This is not just a "fix." You need to be at least comfortable in working with the Windows 2000 registry to do this. Btw, for the step that requires you to compare the files, install the Windows 2000 Support Tools. Included in that package is a slick little tool called Windiff, which will take two files/directories and compare them bit by bit. very helpful and will speed up the process of doing this, cuz it takes a while.

1. Dowload the 8.0a DX from MS and run the installer. It won't work, but it will generate a file called DirectX.log that we'll need later. Then use WinRAR (prolly Winzip will work, too) to extract the files from the executable into a directory.

2.Search your WINNT directory and subdirectories for each file name you extracted from the package and compare them. You'll have to replace all the ones on your HD that aren't identical to the ones from the 8.0a install. Go by size, not size on disk as that varies depending on partition size. Write down where they are in the WINNT directory (most appear in more than one place---fun!!) It's a lot of files, .dll's, .exe's, .sys files, some .vxd's and even some .exe's.

3.Boot into Safemode with Command prompt. I hope you remembered the path to where you put the extracted 8.0a install files, cause now you use your list to manually overwrite the ones in your WINNT subtree with the ones from the package. It's tedious and you have to go slowly to make sure you don't screw something up. It took me close to two hours because I was being very careful.

4. Reboot into Win2K normally. Run Dxdiag and watch for errors. Under the System tab, DirectX Version still says either 8.1 or the beta version you were running, but that's just due to a a couple of registry entries. If any of the files have caution flags, recheck them against the ones from the 8.0a package. If you need to, reboot into safemode with command promt and fix any you missed. Back into Windows, check the files and test your DX system, including dsound. If there's no yellow caution flags next to any entries under files, and everything works, you're prolly OK. Finally try to do something that was giving you the DirectDraw expired message before. It *should* be gone now. If all this checks out, lets get your version number fixed.

5. Look in C:\winnt\ for DirectX.log, which was generated when you tried to run the 8.0a installer over the 8.1 beta. At the very end, you will find something similar to this:

9/10/00 02:07:26: Installation Started with language eng
09/10/00 02:07:26: DirectXSetupIsJapanese == 0
09/10/00 02:07:26: DirectXSetupIsJapanNec == 0
09/10/00 02:07:26: Installing on Win2K
09/10/00 02:07:26: DoPrecopy: Root path = '(null)', flags = 0x2010098
09/10/00 02:07:26: Version in registry = 4.08.01.0620
09/10/00 02:07:26: Version in DLL = 4.08.00.0400
09/10/00 02:07:26: DoPreCopy: Exisiting Install is Newer
09/10/00 02:07:26: SetupForDirectX: Restoring Backups
09/10/00 02:07:27: Newer version already installed

See where it refused to install over the newer version? copy the beta version string from where it says "Version in registry" to the clipboard. Search your registry for the beta version string, which may be different than what I had above. Or just go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX

6. Open the InstalledVersion binary item and change the 01 in the last column to 00 (it deletes in one stroke and types as a single zero--is this hex?). Hit OK to save this item then reopen DirectX.log and copy the "Version in DLL" string into the clipboard. Should be 4.08.00.0400. Back at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX open the Version string and paste the correct version into the field. Hit Ok and close regedit.

that's basically it. have fun doing this. later!

volrathxp
:D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D

volrathxp

basically all i did was take the 6 steps above and cut it down to 3. using setup factory, i made an installer that copies all the "changed" files to the system32 directory in it's own folder. then when you reboot back in safe mode you run a batch file that renames and replaces each dll/exe file. then you reboor normally and change the reg values. if anyone wants a copy of this little thing, let me know and i will post it on the net somewheres. peace!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online