1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Directx 9.0b

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MonoxideChil, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MonoxideChil

MonoxideChil Thread Starter

I installed this and now I cannot run DAoC. I called Mythic tech support and they said that DAoC has had problems with this new directx version. The tech I talked to said that to fix the problem I'd have to reinstall windows 98. Say it aint so. Is there any way I can get an earlier version of directx onto my computer? Any way to delete directx without trashing my computer?

2. RSM123

RSM123

You might be successful if you restart in Dos and at the C: type

Scanreg /Restore (note the space after Scanreg.) You will be presented with last 5 Registries that booted successfully - pick one prior to installing DX9 .... but not the very first on the list.

If no luck - try reinstalling windows over itself - in other words not formatting the hard disk.

If necessary try one of these utilities :

http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/14/4/14-4-40.shtml

http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/14/4/14-4-14.shtml

I have to say though I've never needed either - and from what I have read online the feedback was somewhat mixed.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

4. MonoxideChil

Thank you both for your replies. I removed 9.0b from my computer and had to reinstall 8.1 twice to get all the neccesary(sp?) files but I have it. When I try running Test Direct 3D, the screen blinks and comes back to regular screen. So I'm guessing there's something else wrong that I can't pinpoint. >_< I'm still getting the renderer creation failure for some reason when I try loading the game. I guess I'll have to call Mythic tech support. In the morning.

5. MonoxideChil

Been messing around the past bit, and now I found that it does do something when I test Direct 3D. I get this error...

Direct 3D test results: Failure at step 8(creating 3D device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic Failure)

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this or even if it can fixed or not.

6. RSM123

RSM123

First would you be kind enough to state which utility you used to remove DX9 ? I ask because it would help others in the future who need the same answer, to know what works rather than trying blind.

As regards your error code - I copy pasted the error in Google and found somethings you might like to try :

Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and take a look there for any red or yellow ? or ! marks indicating a problem with any component there.

Make sure your Graphic Card and Sound Card drivers are the latest versions. It may mean downloading and / or reinstalling. Perhaps you could state which G Card / S Card you are using so someone else can help locate updated drivers.

In fact might be a good idea to post details of your full system specs :

Motherboard.

Graphics / Soundcards.

CPU.

Ram.

One other idea - you could go Start > Run type SFC to run System File Checker .... it will scan your system for altered or corrupt files and ask if you want to replace them.

7. MonoxideChil

I used this one to remove directx http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/14/4/14-4-40.shtml
    I had to install directx8 twice to get all the files on, its working now. I had to roll back to an older version of my vid card driver. I'm using a Geforce 2 Ti. Had to go to 43.xx driver instead of the new 45.23(?).

8. RSM123

RSM123

Monoxidechil,

Thanks for the feedback. I was recently asked on another forum whether an XP user could go back to an earlier Restore Point to get rid of DX9 but as I've only just started on XP I didn't know. Its helpful to know what works.

Though in the event you're interested at a later date I have heard there are Beta Drivers - something like 51.75 on release, though they may be very buggy at this stage.

Take Care.

Thanks Again.

Richard.

(y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!