1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DirectX could not be initialized - wow and SWG

Discussion in 'Games' started by adz 2326, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adz 2326

adz 2326 Thread Starter

hi guys,

i have been having tremendous amounts of hastle with trying to play MMORPG's on my home computer. Just for the record:

I'm running Windows XP SP2
    512MB RAM
    Nvidia GForce MX 400
    Intel Celeron 2.26GHZ processor

I have tried both World of warcraft and Starwars galaxies and on both games i recieve similar messages that say DirectX could not be initialised. I have checked some other posts and made changes such as; installing the latest Nvidia drivers from their website, turning hardware acceleration to full, changing the AGParperture size to 64mb in BIOS and i have installed the latest version of DirectX. I was using an intergrated graphics card when this problem started and even after changing to an AGP i still recieve this error. I am assuming therefore it is a software problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if u need my personal email then contact me,

Thanks,
    Adz

2. adz 2326

adz 2326 Thread Starter

Just for anyone else who may be having the same sort of problem, i read that it occurs frequently with the PCI GDIHOOK5 graphics adapter. I found the solution online, it involves modifying a registry file so be careful:

"I had this same problem on a Dell Latitude...Fixed it by changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\DCI changed Timeout value to 7, it was set at zero."

Ever since i changed it both games have been running really fast and smoothly. Hope i could help anyone else though with this info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice