1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DirectX info please

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kimmer13, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

If I have DirectX 8.0 which installed when I put on Weakest Link, any games I previously had which were using DirectX6 or 7 should not have a problem right?

If I then install Cosmopolitan software which *without* asking me ( @@@^@%^#%) just automatically installed DirectX 6, what kind of problems would you expect?

Finally, when I scan my registry for references to "DirectX" I see references to DirectX 6, 7 and 8. Can this cause problems?

The problem I am getting which is posted elsewhere when I thought Kazaa created it, is Fatal Exception 0028 .... VXD NTKERN(01) + 0000CC1F. I get it when trying to run an installed game. Sometimes I press enter and it runs anyway. Some games I press enter and it freezes, requiring a Ctrl-Alt-Del which then allows me to shut down the game, and others I have to use my Power button and turn the PC off altogether.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you go to start and run dxdiag what version does it say you have installed, and does it report any problems (other than uncertified files)?

You can reinstall the latest DirectX, all new versions are supposed to be backward compatible.

An ntkern.vxd error would make me suspicious of faulty ram. And where DirectX is involved there could also be issues with motherboard drivers not being installed, particularly if you are using a VIA chipset and Nvidia graphics drivers.

3. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

i rebooted, and with nothing else open ran dxdiag, and it gave me the error i listed in my 1st post this thread.

however when i last ran it (prior to writing my 1st post today) it said it was version 6. and that was *after* re-installing version 8. which is why i posted - i thought maybe this goofy stuff had something to do with my vxd errors. but you think it's ram?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Actually I'm leaning toward a motherboard and/or driver problem. This would manifest itself in a much more narrow fashion. They tend to occur when directx applications are run.

What is your motherboard chipset and Video driver installation?

5. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

i'm sol now... after that fatal error when i tried dxdiag, i had to power the pc off. when i turned back on scandisk found 19 lost chains, which i told it to delete...........

i can't get into windows. the thing says Windows protection error.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Rather sounds like you've got some serious hard drive problems. Have you tried safe mode? (ctrl key>startup menu>safe mode)

If you have a startup disk and a Windows CD, you can try a reinstall. Load with CD-ROM support. Put the Windows CD in and enter

e:\setup

(that's if 'e' is the letter that gets assigned to the CD-rom drive, it usually get's bumped up one)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice