1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DirectX Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sproink, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sproink

Sproink Thread Starter

Hi, I've done a good bit of searching on the web and for some reason am coming up short handed on this problem...

Well I went to play Skyrim and I noticed my graphics adapter was set to the Radeon HD 3300, which is my onboard.

My actual card is a HD 5850, and I of course thought this was a bit strange, so I investigated my DXDIAG and found that DirectX is also using the HD 3300 as my device.

Is there any way to fix this? The onboard should be disabled, it should be using the HD 5850, but DirectX says differently. Even if it's just a visual issue, I'd like to know if there's a way to get it to display the correct information.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I've swept the HD 5000 series drivers and reinstalled them twice to see if it would fix the problem, and have browsed around to see if there was any 3300 drivers tucked away, I haven't found any, but they may be there.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's not incorrect. You are using the 3300. How did you disable the onboard adapter? Is the new one specified in BIOS? Is one AGP and the other PCI? Which one is your monitor connected to? If your monitor is connected to the onboard, then both adapters may be in operation.

What does Device Manager say?

3. Sproink

Sproink Thread Starter

I believe I resolved the issue. The driver, while swept off of my computer, was still registering inside of windows 7. It was using the 3300 driver (which is my onboard) instead of the newest 5800 series driver.

Once I found it, listed as "unknown" and removed it then went into device manager and set the driver for my adapter to the new one, DXDIAG and Skyrim started showing and/or using the proper device.

Thanks for any concern!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thank you for the followup information.

5. Sproink

Sproink Thread Starter

Well I'm back. As it turns out, every time I restart my computer, under DXDIAG and (as I have now discovered) under the advanced settings for my display, the adapter is listed as the 3300. When I click into the properties for said adapter it says 5800 series.

Now after clicking in and using the update driver feature (browsing drivers from a list on my comp) and selecting the one from the ATI website, it says 5800 series again, both in the settings and on DXDIAG.

But as I said, when I restart my computer, it goes back to saying 3300, while displaying the version number and details for the 5800 driver. I'm terribly confused now.

I've disabled the onboard graphics with bios, both the UMA and the Sideport options.

The story leading up to this is simple, my 5850 had a bad fan and after a year and a half, it finally went. But I needed to use my computer still, so I used the onboard. Once I got a replacement fan (took forever) I popped it into my 5850 and then installed it back on my computer after removing what I thought was all traces of the 3300 short of reformatting. And now this happens, it seems to still want to say/use capabilities of the 3300 through the 5850.

I thought I would use the device manager to uninstall it, then restart and reinstall it with the installer from the ATI website, but Windows 7 decides it wants to automatically install drivers for me. It installs the right series, 5800, but with the same issues as listed above, so even the crappy windows driver is being bugged out by whatever is wrong. I disabled automatically installing driver software not only in the control panel, but in the gpedit.msc as well and it still installs, but that's a separate problem.. I hope.

Any help will be a blessing, thanks!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Windows shouldn't be detecting the 3300 if its disabled in the BIOS. Have you absolutely verified that the integrated graphics are completely turned off in the BIOS, not just the UMA and SidePort Memory? make sure its fully disabled and that the primary graphics is set to PCI-Express or PEG not Integrated or IGP. Also ensure that the monitor is being connected to the 5850 and not the integrated graphics before powering on the computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice