DirectX problems in Win ME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

apurva

Hi..
I have a PIII 500Mhz with 192Mb Ram , a Asus P3V4x motherboard and Asus Riva Tnt Pro graphics card..

I recently tried installing the latest Nvidia detonatorXP drivers over the current drivers.. ever since then i cannot run directx applications.. the system stops responding when i do so.. this sometimes happens when I am surfing the web as well..

I have removed the video card drivers and reinstalled them.. I also reinstalled directx 8.0a..

Both these failed.. I have just reinstalled ME and kept the orignal video card drivers and the original direct x that came with ME ( ie.. Direct x 7.1).. the problem still continues..

I have the latest available drivers for all my hardware including my soundcard, and motherboard..

Does anyone have a solution..

Thanks,
Apurva Mehta
http://www.apurvaslair.50g.com/

Bryan

Bryan
See if <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/directory/content.asp?PR=drx&FR=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US&CT=SD&SE=NONA> this</a> DX troubleshooter helps.

Let us know what happens.

apurva

Hi..
I couldn't really find what I was looking for in that trouble shooter.. there isnt much there in terms of troubleshooting. I searched the Microsoft Knowledge base as well.. Still found nothing..

I am getting more and more convinced that the only way to get rid of this problem is to format my hard disk and install windows from scratch..
But that will be my last resort.. And if I do so then I will definetly go for XP..

Please let me know if there are any more probable solutions..
thanks,
Apurva

IBM

have you tried running DXDIAG
This is DX's own diagnostics program.

I think that Nvidia uses openGL, and from I've heard, openGl and DX are always fighting over who does what.
They are conflicting in other words(Correct me If I'm worng)...

You might need to enter the openGL setup, and choose what it gets access to...if you can do that.

apurva

Hi..
When I try to run DXdiag the computer hangs..
I have been using the same drivers for months and the video card is over a year old.. i have never faced any problems in terms of conflicts between directx and opengl..

anyways, how do i go into the opengl control panel?

thanks,
Apurva

IBM

yeah, I feel like an idiot!
I must have been groggy or plain stupid...Yeah you're right.
OpenGl & DX don't often conflict like what I was saying(if at all).

anyway, for openGL you would just enter your ordinary video card settings. maybe see if openGL is outta whack or something.

Run SFC, see if you get any DX or openGL errors. If you are asked to update the drivers, I would think it's safe enough to do so. They are only drivers, you can always re-install them.
If you run up on User.exe during the SFC, ignore it & anything else you're not sure of.

Now do a thorough scandisk, go into the advanced settings and make sure that nothing is set to overwrite, but instead set to append. You basically want to make sure that you don't kill your computer in any way.

After scandisk, You should repair IE. Go into the control panel, then 'add/remove programs'. Find IE, & opt to remove it, a menu will then pop up, from it choose to 'repair ie' .

Finally boot into Dos mode.
at the C:\> prompt type: cd\ & hit enter.
Now you are going to fix your registry.
type: scanreg /fix (keep the space between 'scanreg' & '/fix')

Now reboot into Windows. Try running Dxdiag, if you are still hanging come back & post about it. There is alot more we can do.
P.S
Usually repairing IE will fix everything so with a little luck...

apurva

Hi..

I think your remedies are more suited to Windows 98.. I have windows me and there is no system file checker, there is no way to uninstall IE and lastly I cannot boot into dos..

I have already tried fixing my registry and have run scandisk.. it did not work..

Thanks,
Apurva

Bryan

Bryan
I suggest you try this,

See <a href=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ARTICLES/Q281/9/67.asp> this</a> article and do the "work around" to get rid of the OEM 0kb files. Then reinstall the latest drivers for your card from the card makers website. That's important since the Riva cards are known to need the most recent drivers from the maker. The drivers included with the Windows ME operating system are known to cause problems with that card. And then finally rerun the Direct X8.0a install.

After all that's done, see if you can run Dxdiag.

Let us know what happens.

apurva

Hi..
I have already upgraded to the latest nvidia detonator xp v21.83 and it has not helped. Also I do not have any 0KB OEM files to delete.. All my oem files seem to be valid..

I have given up on ME anyways.. I think next week I will format my HDD and install windows XP and hope that it helps me get rid of these frequent problems that ME seems to throw up..

Thanks a lot for all the help you guys have given..
Apurva

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online