1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Directx trouble, Direct 3D test failure

Discussion in 'Games' started by massive1974, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. massive1974

massive1974 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have this problem. My computer stopped running games with Directx. I ran the Dxdiag and I'm getting the following error message:
    "Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure) Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code) Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)"

I have tried a couple of things and finally deleted my partititon clean, reinstalled XP, updated chipset drivers , updated everything and I still get the error message, still can't play games except for one game which i think uses Opengl: combat mission shock force.

Anyway, I attach my latest Dxdiag file.

I would appreciate a little help.

Attached Files:

2. tom6049

tom6049

That's a nasty Direct 3D error message.
    It's pretty tedious, but here's what I would do.
    I would format, reinstall Windows XP from scratch, and then
    run and install ALL Windows Updates, including DirectX 9.0c.
    (At this point, I wouldn't install any other programs or drivers, chipset, sound card, etc.)
    After all that's done, then install the latest video drivers from ATi.

3. massive1974

Oh sweet geesus. not again. I just gone through that hellish process yesterday. true, i didn't pay attention to the order of things. i mean not this order you suggest. but ill give it a try. i'm out of ideas.
    thanks

4. tom6049

tom6049

Let us know if this helps or not.

5. massive1974

I'm gonna try it today and i'll let you know.

6. massive1974

Ok, so this is what happened.
    I deleted the partition, installed xp then all the updates. Then I started installing the drivers, leaving the catalyst drivers last.
    after each install and update I checked whether the direct3d test worked and they did (7,8 and 9) miraculously up until the point I installed the latest Ati catalyst driver, 10 point something. then the whole computer crashed, blue death screen, dumping of physical memory etc. I went back to the stage before those drivers using the restore function. Direct3d worked again.
    then I installed an older catalyst driver, 7.5. I ran the dxdiag, and in all 3 Direct3d tests the cube started spinning like crazy. However, as you can see from the attached file, direct 3d test were considered to be successful. At this stage I had to give up as it was getting late and my girlfriend started whining. So I didn't get the chance to install any games and try them.

All throughout this process, even before crashing with the 10. catalyst drivers, the computer occasionally rebooted itself. And I don't mean the obligatory reboot after this or that update but what happened was that it rebooted, started loading xp and when the desktop appeared then it suddenly rebooted again by itself. after a couple of start windows normallys and start windows with last known good configurations it would eventually load and settle down. but this was a recurring problem throughout.
    Maybe i should just buy a high-end, factory issued gaming rig. Maybe I should win the lottery first.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!