1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DirectX11 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Botkers, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Botkers

Botkers Thread Starter

My Friend and i have run into a rather annoying problem i hope you might be able to help us with.

The laptop is an Asus G750JM with a 4th gen I7 and a GTX860M with Windows 10 64-Bit The problem we are having is that when any DirectX 11 game is launched, we are met with a variety of different error messages depending on the game but they all state that "Directx 11 is not supported by your video card or your drivers needs updating"

However, the 860M does support DX11, and this laptop has been running these games without any problem if we go maybe a year or so back. This is what is really bothering us. It is even weirder, that sometimes upon restart of the PC, the games are able to launch and play for anywhere between 1-20 minutes with no problems. But then it will crash...

When looking at Dxdiag render tab, i noticed at one point that the field Direct3D-DDI said "Unknown" and that the "Feature levels" was blank. Direct3D Acceleration was also "Unavailable". When everything was like this, we are unable to launch the game. After restarting the laptop, sometimes these fields will now have the proper information and actually correctly state the Direct3D-DDI, Feature levels and say that Direct3D Acceleration is activated.

Now this is when we are able to launch the game, play for couple minutes, crash and open Dxdiag to find all the data back to the "unknown" and "Unavailable" state... After some troubleshooting which included: 1. New freshly installed drivers for both the integrated graphics and the 860M 2. Trying older drivers 3. Restoring Windows 4. Checking for corrupt files etc. And more...

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    My first thought would be a failing video chipset.

You could take the time to perform a fresh install of Win10 and whatever video drivers that were last known to work. That would at least rule out the OS/registry/corrupt file/drivers.

3. Botkers

Botkers Thread Starter

Yeah we tried to do a fresh install and use old drivers but the result was the same. I have also come to the conclusion at this point that it must be hardware :/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!