1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disable antivirus in windows Me

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by b_tenus, Apr 22, 2002.

?

I need to know how to disable the antivirus in windows ME

1. post new thread

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. post replies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b_tenus

b_tenus Thread Starter

I need to know how to disable the antivirus in Windows Me.

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

There is no in-built AV in Windows Me.

What AV program are you running?

3. b_tenus

b_tenus Thread Starter

I am planning on installing Windows XP Upgrade and I am running Norton Antivirus. I am supposed to disable all programs that are running before I start the Upgrade.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Depending on which version of NAV you are running you may find it easier to completely uninstall it rather than just trying to disable it. The program has so many parts, with auto-protection, email protection, startup scans etc, that disabling them all is a tricky job. Uninstall it from Add/remove programs.

Reinstalling in XP also has the advantage that it will give you another year of free updates and downloads as well.

BTW, my advice would be not to upgrade to XP. Backup everything, format the drive and do a clean install. All the people I know of with problems with XP are upgraders. A clean install seems to produce a much more stable reliable system.

Just my opinion.

5. b_tenus

b_tenus Thread Starter

Thanks Nick. I may try to go through the Upgrade. I have got a lot of negative vibs from people that have tried the Upgrade.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!