Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disable BIOS memory options

10K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hi,
I was hoping for some help - I've been working in safe mode for a month of the battery and am at my wits end!

I have a Dell inspiron 1150 laptop. About a month ago, I reset the wireless router from the main computer (the laptop accesses wirelessly) and that is the last thing that I can recall that started the problem. It worked after I reset the router and password. The computer restarted, internet explorer 8 came up needing an update. The computer was shut off and the next time it was turned on it stopped working normally.

If the laptop is plugged into the AC adapter, it doesn't turn on and make noise, there is just a black screen with a white cursor flashing. If the laptop is on battery, then I can get into safe mode. If I just turn it on with the battery, it will not go to the login, rather has an error message about the IRQL driver and recommending that I disable the bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If I am in safe mode, I can use most programs and the internet.

Any thoughts? I feel like it is related to the wireless router somehow. 2 months prior to this when the wireless router was reset, the next day the same laptop had difficulty starting and eventually did but all of the folders were moved around (just an aside, not the current problem).

Any help would be great!
Jewels

See less See more
#2 ·
While in Safe Mode, go Start and right click the My Computer, click properties and then on the window that opens, click hardware, then click device manager and on the window that then opens, see if there are any yellow or red warnings against entries.

#4 ·
Whilst in Safe mode and ensuring your battery is fully charged.
Click start, run and type cmd.
In the window that opens and presuming the hard drive is "C" type
"chkdsk c: /f" without quotes.
Note space between chkdsk and c and c: and /.
Press enter
You will receive a message to schedule for next restart. Press Y and enter.
Restart and see if chkdsk runs. Do not interrupt the process.

#5 ·
If it won't turn on when on AC, you have something serious wrong with it. It may even have a short-circuit, but that has nothing to do with any routers. If your battery gets very warm when on AC, do not use it since Li batteries are a risk for leakage and fire if not charged or connected correctly.

If you have a warranty, bring it back. Nothing you do in Windows will fix this problem.

#6 ·
Hi, thanks for keeping to work on this with me :)

I did that, it took some time and ran the chkdsk. (on a good note, it's the first time I've heard the computer make a little noise inside like somethings happening) But then it went to the same error screen. In addition to the BIOS clear memory cache/shadowing error I mentioned above, it also has something about "try changing video adaption" (not new, been there before)

At the bottom of the screen there is also this error code that I didn't mention previously (not new).
STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0x805706CB, 0xF89525D4, 0x00000000)

Anything else I should try?
Thanks for your help!!

#7 ·
Hi Elvandil,

Oh no - I was afraid to hear that! It is an older laptop 2004, so I don't have a warranty anymore.

The battery doesn't seem to get warm on it's own or when recharging through the AC adapter.

So, should I try to fix this/ bring it in somewhere; or just go buy a new one?

Thanks for your advice,
Jewels

#8 ·
I would follow the advice from Elvandil.
As I understand the situation, but you need more advice from an expert on that computer, the AC power adaptor, works through two cicuits of the PCB - printed circuit board inside the computer, one circuit powers the computer and one charges the battery.
When it is conected to the AC power supply, apart from the charging circuit, the battery is of course not used to run the computer.

As it to some degree works when connected to the battery. It seems, that this may be the error.
The relatively simple output of the AC power supply is then converted inside the laptop to the necessary varying voltages required.

EVEN if the computer could be fixed to load with the battery, you will as Elvandil says, never fix the problem of it not running on AC power with any solution available from a Software point of view. eg. Windows and other utilities.

The error code for what it is worth is usually a memory or driver issue, or occasionally hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.