1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disable chkdsk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steelcaress, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steelcaress

steelcaress Thread Starter

have a Win2k Pro system running with a FAT32 file system. Recently, I had a game freeze up and had to reset the thing without shutting down properly.

Now I have chkdsk trying to run every time on boot.

Chkdsk is supposed to be this utility that checks your file system for errors. All it seems to do to me is destroy data (possibly critical data that affects your apps). I won't let it run anymore.

Problem is, I dunno how to disable it. I've tried the suggestions on other sites that have you edit the registry. They all seem to say the same thing: "Change the BootExecute entry to: autocheck autochk *" That's great, except that entry is already in there. Doesn't do a thing.

How do I fix chkdsk so it will no longer autoexecute? I'm tired of babysitting my computer at boot, waiting for the chkdsk screen so I can stop the scan. I can always run it from the CD or the boot floppy if I need to.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The program that runs on startup is not chkdsk, but autochk.exe. If you really want to disable it, you could rename autochk.exe to autochk.exe.old. A brief message will tell you that it is not found on boot.

From a command prompt, run:

chkntfs /?

That will show you some other options on controlling chkdsk/autochk.

Alternatively, export the key for safe-keeping and then delete the value "autocheck autochk *" ". That is the entry that starts autochk.exe on boot.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest the alternative method, since FAT32 volumes are subject to corruption. There's a reason that Windows automatically runs CHKDSK when the volume is "dirty". :)

4. steelcaress

steelcaress Thread Starter

Thanks. I know FAT32 is less stable and supposedly less secure than NTFS (except when a virus comes along that affects only NTFS systems, heh heh). I have some older games, some that were made for 98 and not for 2000+, and possibly an NTFS file system might not let them run.

Deleting the registry key worked. I created a .reg file that would stick it back in if needed.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The file system has nothing to do with whether games would run. It is only a method whereby files are stored on the hard drive. It's like the difference between storing files in a file cabinet by name, or storing them in a drawer by birth-date. The files themselves are exactly the same.

In fact, for large drives, NTFS is faster and would make games run even better.

I've never heard of an "NTFS" virus.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice