Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disable hard drive?

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  indgramp 
#1 ·
I have two 80 gig hard drives on my system (Windows XP). The second drive (set up as slave) I just use to perform periodic total backups of the master drive. Would there be any problem if I disabled this drive between backups by choosing the "Do not use this device (disable)" option available in Device Manager ?
I haven't tried it because I don't know what will happen.

#2 ·
There should not be a problem, however why would you want to do something like that? If you are worried about wearing out the drive, set it to power down after a set time. You would not be using any more system resources since the controller would run two devices. Unless your system is underpowered [ie small no name power supply] I see no reason to disable a hd.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. Maybe I am being a little paranoid but the second drive is only being used for a backup and will only be accessed at most once a week. I have been told that it is even best to remove the drive and store in a safe place between backups. I am not about to do that but it seems so simple to just disable it to reduce wear and tear and protect it from virus attack.
I did look into a power down option but I could only see where both drives have to be scheduled at the same time under "Power Options".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.