disable options to view files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnno1970

Hi, I want to disable the window that gives the options of opening, viewing or playing files once a cd is inserted or external drive is attached in windows xp, can anyone help plz?
Johnno.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
hi, The simplest and most effective way to keep that pop up window from opening:

When you put a CD in any drive, press down and hold down the SHIFT key....the drive may spin up, but you will not get that options window and can do what you want> Explore the CD, or start up your burning software, without having to click anything.

Since there are times you do want to CD to autorun, I have not told you about disabling the entire Autorun feature of XP but there is a way to do that, for XP Home it's a Registry edit.

NO cds will start up and run if you disable autorun. The workaround with Shift key is much easier.

johnno1970

Thanks for that Byteman, I seem to be getting another window popping up when I do that though, referring to filter keys, am I holding down the shift key for too long maybe?

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, I don't get that at all here no matter how long it stays down.

Maybe someone who has seen that can tell you what to do.

Could you post word for word the pop up message please?

Some Pop up blockers will affect the key's usage and tons of programs use filter keys.

valis

probably getting the sticky keys function.

for the autorun, to toggle it off, right click on the drive in question, select properties, click the autorun tab, and untick the radio button on the bottom, 'prompt me each time to choose'.

v

johnno1970

Ok, the window is titled "filter keys" and reads:
Holding down the shift key for 8 seconds turns on filter keys. Filter keys causes windows to ignore brief or repeated keystrokes and slows down the keyboard repeat rate.
To keep filter keys on, click ok.
To cancel filter keys, click cancel.
To deactivate the key combination for filter keys, click settings.
Settings then takes me to accessibility options, and the sticky keys that valis mentioned.
I've since disabled autorun through the registry editor, stumbled upon this site when working out how to disable it, it sounds like the sensible thing to do after reading this!
http://features.engadget.com/2004/06/29/how-to-tuesday-disable-autorun-on-windows/

valis

knew it was one of those. filter/sticky, all I know is not to hold down (or to let the cat sit on that part of the keyboard) for too long.

as for the registry hack, did you try that radio button? seems to be a bit simpler, and doesn't involve the registry.

v

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, I think the first time I got that message, after holding down a key for something, I OK'd to disable filter keys etc and haven't been bothered since!

johnno1970

Ya, youre right valis, that does seem to be a simpler way to disable it, thanks for that.

valis

bottom line, whatever works for you is what works for you. Usually in windows there are about 10 different ways to accomplish anything, so if it works, you like it, cool.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online