Disable or Reduce Virtual Memory because of Ton of RAM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joshjpang

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the previous post.

I've got an interesting question. I went overboard with spending $$ for upgrades and got 2GB of memory for my laptop. I watch Windows Task Manager's Performance tab and it always seems to say I have around 1.2-1.5GB memory free. I don't usually use huge applications (except GTA San Andreas on occasion :D ) and at most, I'll have Excel, Paintshop, a few browser windows, Outlook open, and BitComet in the background. But usually, I would only have a couple applications open at once.

So to increase performance should I disable Virtual Memory?

To my understanding, Virtual Memory works by allocating hard-disk space to work as memory. But since I have so much free, doesn't it make sense to deactivate it and just use raw memory?

I feel as if I said something really stupid or asked a dumb question... :( :D

Thanks!

This has been a subject of debate for quite awhile. IMHO when you have a ton of system memory, it is still a good idea to have some virtual memory set aside. Some programs are designed to look for it and if it isn't there, they may not work properly. This leads to another big debate...should you have a static swap file (one size) or dynamic swap file (set parameters or let Windows decide the size)? Lots of arguments over that one. IMHO again...if you have a lot of system memory, I would go for a static swap file and put it on a separate hard drive if available (speaking of desktops, of course). But to be frank, I've tried both ways and have seen little noticeable difference in performance. If you go with a static swap file, I would recommend around 500mb for your system.

I have to agree with bistro. I would suggest you look at your virtual memory & look at the recommended size. You could use that size for the initial & maximum settings or if you feel it will consume too much free space, reduce it a bit but keep it at the sames size. This will stop it from expanding & contracting plus it is easier to defrag.

Another option would be to d/l & run this freeware program. One of the things it will do is to set your swap/page file to the correct size. You can get it here:
http://www.download.com/Advanced-WindowsCare/3000-2086-10407614.html?part=dl-AdvancedW&subj=dl&tag=button

Regards,

Hawk

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
With 2 gigs, you could set the paging file to a fixed value, say 512mb, and I'm sure it would be fine. I agree with the posts that caution about totally disabling the paging file.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online