Disable Screesaver during defrag?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mosaic1

Has anyone else used this method? This is supposed to disable the screensaver automatically any time Defrag is run. I tried it to be sure it worked. I was going to post it in another thread regarding defrag. The problem is it didn't work for me. I do use the new WINME Defrag on my 98SE Machine. I wonder if that's the reason why.
Here's the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q229057

Thanks in advance.

What are the advantages of Using the WinME defrag?

And where could I get a copy?

buck52

Banned
Toddles18

It's supposed to run much faster

Do a Google search... WinME Defrag... and pick a place to get it rather than me pointing you somewhere

I'm sure Mosaic1 will be back to explain in more detail

buck

Bryan

Bryan
I've seen this posted many times in past but I've never seen any documentation as to why Windows ME defrag is faster other than, it just is ..... I've never used it since my W98 defrag runs in less than 5 minutes. I'm not doubting that it completes faster, I'd just like to see some technical documention that's explains the changes that made it run faster. Does anyone know of any site that explains exactly what changed in Windows ME defrag?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
My understanding is that it is modelled after DiskKeeper, and/or contains DiskKeeper components, .... MS made some agreement with the DiskKeeper people and redesigned Defrag for Me.

Mo: I've installed that patch before and never seen it work. Maybe it depends on the type of screensaver that runs???

Mosaic1

WhitPhil,
That's an interesting thought. I was using Flying Windows.
There are quite a few Registry tips (even from Microsoft) which don't work.

Mo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online