disable shutdown key on keyboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StevenYoungMin

I have just been given a computer - pentium III 600 Mhz with windows 98 which I have wiped and replaced with win 2k.

After setting the system up I noticed 3 keys on the keyboard that I didn't recognise. Two of them don't seem to do anything but the third instructs win2k to shutdown the computer immediately without saving anything!!! When you press it a box appears on the screen and flashes up "Windows is shutting down" and then it turns off. It happens quicker than the standard shutdown procedure and when you turn it back on it doesn't give you scandisk (mind you does scandisk happen in 2000 if you shutdown by accident??)

I need to prevent this happenning or atleast have it check that I have saved my work or not!!! Is this a hardware or software problem?

The machine has an award flash BIOS.

Thanks

Steven

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Steve, is there a keyboard setup item in the control panel? Maybe it can be reconfigured....if not, then perhaps it's there in case you don't need to save anything, in which case, I guess you might not want to press it.

StevenYoungMin

Hi ya

There is a keyboard item in the control panel but no option fro reconfiguration.

I think it was originally a key designed for win98....now that I've installed 2000 it seems to work but may not have the safeguards that it would have contained in 98.

Any suggestions about a win2k utility that is similar to "safeoff" in win 98??

Thanks

Steven

Max19

Account Disabled
If you're really concerned about that key and you can't disable it, get a different keyboard.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Stick around long enough Steven, and Max will suggest you get a different computer :eek:

Anne Troy

Anne
Funny how I found my way into this thread...

Steven, how is that baby???!!!

:D

StevenYoungMin

Hi Dreamboat!!!

Emily is really wonderful - she started walking 7 days ago and now all hell has broken loose....she's 11 months already!!

Hi Max19

I do have another keyboard but I'd sort of rather get this one working as its nice and new...

Thanks Acacandy for the very entertaining comment

Thanks Dan O - I think you may have cracked it - I'll look into this and get back to you...

Thanks y'all

Steven

StevenYoungMin

Oh well... despite my optimism I still can't disble the power down button.

I looked up the micosoft site and followed its advice - the only problem is I don't know the scan code for the shutdown key. I did find another MS page that suggested what the scan codes might be but they don't seem to work. I have also used a few scancode programs but they don't seem able to tell me the code for the key - even when I plug it into my laptop which doesn't shutdown when you press the key.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully accepted especially if you can give me precise advice on how to alter the win2k registry as I might not have been altering it correctly.

Anyway thanks for all your help

Steven

Is all this trouble worth the $20 you save in not getting a new one... or the 0$ you save in not using the old one? Just a thought... maybe it is...

Is it the Shutdown, Sleep, or Power key. If it's the Power key you may be able it in BIOS Setup, check for an option. It sounds like you have a third party keyboard that may requires a utility to configure, which you can get from the manufacture. What is the make and model of the keyboard?

StevenYoungMin

Thanks Deuce_nm I sort of realised this some time ago - but I would like to use the new keyboard - it would be a waste otherwise.

Thanks Dan_O - I've looked in the BIOS and though there is a power switch setting the options are shutdown immediately or after a 4 sec delay. There is also a setting in win2K power management but the only option seems to be enabled. The model is BTC 5201 - I've looked all over the place and it doesn't seem to have a specific driver - I've looked at the BTC site with no joy. It appears that with the AWARD bios sin the machine supporting ACPI the keyboard simply works with the ordinary microsoft driver. Hence why microsoft have the scan codes for the keyboard - though they don't seem to work!! Thanks again Dan_O for your usually excellent help - better luck next time.

Steven

Just a question, if you switched the soft power off option to 4 sec delay and not immediate, isn't the button on your keyboard a soft power off? If so doesn't that mean that you will have to push the botton on your keyboard for 4 sec to power off? That is hard to accidentally do so I should think that will solve it. Have you tried shutting down with it? Does it go right away or does it take 4 sec. I sure you've thought of this already but I am just asking in case you haven't.

Where do you live? Bigger cities have a varity of used computer shops to choose from. Maybe you could take the keyboard into them and ask to swap with an equally comparable one? Or else ask to pay $3, $4 if they need you to. (those guys need to make money some how) Usually those places give you store credit so you can use it toward a good keyboard w/o a shutdown button.

Last resort option... if you can't solve it any other way, you could also just grab a knife and pry off the sucker and manually disable it, if you really want to slightly damage it. It sounds like it is causing you some distress so personally, if it were me, I would do that, so as to reduce overall net gray hairs.

StevenYoungMin

Hi Dan_O

I'll try that site. Thanks

HI Deuce

I have tried the 4 second setting and it only controls the main power switch. The keyboard switch just shuts it down immediately - infact much much quiker than when you choose start- >shutdown. I am soon to resort to the pen knife and carry out your last suggestion probably. Thanks for all you help.

Thanks guys

Steven

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online