1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disable Speaker - Windows 7

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Fraserb82, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraserb82

Fraserb82 Thread Starter

Hi,

Hoping someone will be able to help with a bit of a strange problem I have.

I need to disable the internal speaker on a Windows 7 PC but keep the audi jack enabled. Once internal speaker is disabled we need to stop users from enabling it.

Anyone come across anything like this? We want to do this by policy, script, regedit. Something we can push out from SCCM or the likes. Initially this is for one Library but I can see them wanting it pushed out to multiple libraries.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fraser

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I assume the library computer is a desktop and not a laptop. If no speakers are attached, there is no sound.

In addition, open regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Audiosrv
    click on Start and change the Dword value from 2 to 4.
    This changes the audio service from automatic to disabled. That would also result in no sound coming through a headphone plugged into the audio port.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think he is referring to the internal audio speaker that some business PC's have, not the beep speaker but like external speakers but placed inside the PC. I don't think you can disable it via software though, never seen the option. Can't recall seeing even a setting in the BIOS/UEFI either. You might just need to go around and physically disconnect it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!