1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disable Virtual Miniport Adapter w/ bat file

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yajnchan, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yajnchan

yajnchan Thread Starter

How can I disable a "Microsoft Virtual WIFI MiniPort Adapter" with a batch file?
    I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The MiniPort Adapter isn't your physical wireless adapter, it's a shim placed there to allow applications like firewalls to intercept networking traffic. As such, it can't be disabled in the traditional sense.

What are you really trying to do?

3. yajnchan

yajnchan Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I am running windows virtual pc 2007 sp1, and it creates a the aforementioned adapter. Upon resuming from standby, this disables my normal connection, until I disable, enable the virtual adapter then disable and enable the normal adapter. It is, all in all, very tedious and consuming considering that I often put my computer into standby (almost once every 15 minutes, as I have to do research elsewhere)

4. JohnWill

Hmm... I don't know what happens with VPC in standby, I use it, but I never put the machine into standby.

5. yajnchan

yajnchan Thread Starter

No, n the host computer. The host computer's wireless gets messed up, even with the Virtual PC closed. Only the existence of the Virtual Adapter messes it up.

6. JohnWill

Right, my computer running VPC never goes into standby, so I don't know how these interact. :)

7. yajnchan

yajnchan Thread Starter

Oh. I see. :) Thanks anyway! But do you have any theories on how I could do something?

8. JohnWill

Use VMWARE?

9. yajnchan

yajnchan Thread Starter

...or some other virtualization software, I suppose.
    OK, thanks!
    I will try that, though for the time being, I will stick with what I have.

Thank you for your help, JohnWill. :)

10. avisitor

avisitor

I find that kind of odd. My PC with Virtual PC doesn't have any problems with standby.

11. JohnWill

I tried it with my Vista laptop, and it recovered fine from sleep, so I'm not sure why this happens. It's probably specific network drivers that have power recovery issues.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/795110