1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disable Windows 7 Security warning when renaming files

Discussion in 'General Security' started by calvin-c, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned Thread Starter

Or copying them, or anything else that starts by right-clicking on them. These are files on my network drive which is not, AFAIK, accessible from outside my network (at least I can't access it except when I'm connected at home, or using a VPN client) so I'm pretty certain that these files are safe-and the warning isn't telling me that they're unsafe anyway, just that they're an 'unsafe type' i.e. zip files.

So, I'm open to either of two solutions-trust files on that network drive or disable the warnings for actions that don't involve running the files. All the tips I've found so far involve disabling the warning entirely, for all files (or all files of a given type) and I don't want to do that. If, because I lost my mind or maybe let my kids use my PC (which would be an indication that I'd lost my mind) I try to copy/run a file from outside my network, then I'd like to get the warning-so I don't want to disable it entirely. But if I'm just copying files to/'from my network storage then I don't need the flipping warning. Can I disable it for that?

Thanks. (Not sure whether this s/b Security or Windows 7-feel free to move it if it's in the wrong forum.)

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't get a warning about renaming zip files. Are you sure that is a Windows warning?

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned Thread Starter

Sorry for delay, I got pulled away for different project & forgot about this until I resumed work on this project. Yes, it's a Windows warning. Or at least it appears to be-the title bar says Windows Security. Interestingly something I did (or maybe a Windows Update) has changed the message. I just right-clicked on a file to double-check the message. The window title says Windows Security. What I call the 'subject' of the message has the orange shield with black exclamation point on an orange background. The subject text says "Opening these files might be harmful to your computer". It's either from Windows Security, or a good fake. And since my PC scans clean, I'm assuming it's from Windows Security.

What's changed is that not the 'body' of the message refers to my Internet security settings, i.e. "Your Internet security settings blocked one or more files from being opened. Do you want to open these files anyway?"

I don't get the warning when doing anything with a zip from my local drive, only from the network drive so I suspect that's what makes the difference. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice