1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disable Windows xp Firewall

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by springbrk200, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. springbrk200

springbrk200 Thread Starter

I recently stumbled upon a lot of viruses and spyware and maleware. My computer was pretty much a lump of trash. I have had to reset almost everything. I noticed that the windows firewall is on. This is not good bc I use etrust firewall. I tried to simply turn it off but the button for on and off are greyed out. Is there any other way to manually disable it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I've heard of this happening before. You are supposed to turn off the XP firewall first, before you install another one. I'm not sure that this is the problem but running 2 firewalls causes conflicts and this might be one of them. If this happen on my computer I would uninstall the second firewall and see if I could then turn the XP one off.

3. springbrk200

I'll try that

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

To be sure the XP firewall is off and not coming on again until you want it to, go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel, Services, and scroll down to Windows Firewall. Double-click it, set it to disabled and apply. Stop the service if it is running. If it won't stop, leave it disabled and reboot. Then it won't start in the first place.

5. springbrk200

Thank you Elvandil, You are a life saver. I tried uninstalling my etrust stuff, no success. I tried what Elvandil said and it worked. Not only is the firewall off, but it won't be coming back on any time soon.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. Congratulations.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/358988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice