1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabled Edge in Task Manager - No desktop etc.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sjr1938, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

I dislike Edge, so on my new PC I went into Task Manager and disabled it with Stop Run. When I came back, my desktop is gone, home page is gone, all my favorites, taskbar, all toolbarx everything is gone except a small gmail screen.

Thank you for any speedy help!

The below is not my new PC but my old. Edge is on the old one and functional.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3981 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -2041 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 455 GB (392 GB Free);
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, ZBWAA
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just reboot the PC. If all you did was stop the program in task manager. No settings are saved that way.

3. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

Sorry, I have done that 2-4 times. Nothing changes. Any more ideas?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Boot the new pc to the sign in screen. Click on Power button. Hold the Shift key and click on Restart. It will give you the Troubleshoot dialog. Choose Startup Repair

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think you will find that Windows does use Edge, just like it did in the earlier versions with Internet Explorer.
    By disabling edge, you just may not be able to use any of the update and other programs that call home that uses the built in access.

6. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

Lunarlander, I cannot get to the sign-in screen. When I boot up I get the blue screen of death with a small email page on it.

I fear my hard drive has been wiped clean. Yesterday I received a note purporting to be from google, saying my password had been compromised by somebody in Moscow. Just a short while after that I lost the whole thing. I did report that to google

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice