1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disable'd Microsoft Services (Through MSCONFIG) In XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vanhaveir, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanhaveir

Vanhaveir Thread Starter

This happened awhile back, my computer randomly decided that every time I logged on it would max out my CPU with the "System" process... I found this odd, and in my troubleshooting, like an idiot I disabled EVERY Service I had under MSCONFIG. This lead to my computer working somehow... I found out that it was a hole in my old Anti-virus "PC-Cillin" The proxy was maxing out my System process somehow... Anyway, figured that out, and removed it. Now, for the problem.

When I logged back on, re-enabled ALL services (After deleting PC-Cillin entirely) my computer worked fine... However, in the process of doing this, my login account somehow got screwed. Basically, when I logged on, it took me to a completely different user account. I later through registry and trial and error figured out that I was logging into a new profile labeled TEMP that had never existed before this fiasco. So, I went through registry and re-allocated all of my file paths and everything else manually. It's as though I still have my old account back. Just recently through my System properties under User Profiles I found that I have two owner accounts now. My original, and a new one. The original is 2.27GB in Size and the new one is 325MB. They're both Local, but my original say's it's "Backup" under status. It's also not been modified since November 2008. Under status the new one say's Local.

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, SP2.

My only concerns are learning more about this, and possibly re-instating my actual User Profile... Oh, and another thing to know, none of the other profiles on my computer had this happen... however, I don't believe they were logged onto while Microsoft services were disabled. I'm an IT student going to college in the Fall for networking, I understand alot about XP, but there are some things I simply don't know. Any help in this matter would be great. I'd like to learn more about it, and possibly reinstate my old profile.

If it matters, while trying to log onto my computer it only shows one Profile under my profile's name. And I don't know if it's related (Probably is) but every now and again when I attempt to do some things, my computers say's that I need administrative privileges... I should have full privileges.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice