1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabled my Graphics card, and VGA Now i cant see nothing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kurt_angle, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kurt_angle

kurt_angle Thread Starter

I disabled my graphics card in windows to update it. (As the error message I recieved whilst installing the downloaded update was to switch to VGA mode), having done that I still recieved the same problem, so I went through and disabled the VGA, now when I try to log into windows, I have the problem of not being able to veiw anything on my screen. I know that the computer has not crashed as when I use the keyboard sequence (windows) button > u (shutdown computer) > u (turn off) it does actually shut down.

I was wondering how is it possible to install the graphics card again through maybe the recovery console?

Or is there any way that somebody could SO KINDLY (MAN ID LOVE YOU IF YOU CAN DO THIS FOR ME!) work out the keyboard squence for me to enable it again.

I currently have a ATI Radeon 9800, Windows XP with SP2

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did you disable these? In Device manager? What kind of video card?

Do you see anything on the screen during the boot process?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try booting in Safe Mode?

4. kurt_angle

I disabled it by going to the desktop *rightclick > *properties > *settings > *advanced >* *clicked on the adapter tab > *then properties > *device usage

I think im missing half of my post as I typed it out in Word and then pasted it in here,

******I currently have a ATI Radeon 9800, Windows XP with SP2. I've tried to start up safe mode, with all the other options (command prompt, networking, and the other one i dont know how to use), and ive tried to load via using loan with last known good configuration, also enable vga mode but they just seem to crash on me which i get to a a file called mus.sys or that scan disk checker that loads up before windows is full booted crashes.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If chkdsk crashes, start by doing a thorough disk check/repair by booting from your XP CD, choosing "R" for "repair", and entering the Recovery Console. From there, run:
    chkdsk C: /p
    (if C: is your drive).

6. kurt_angle

its stuck at 25% and not moving... ooo hang on its moved a touch to 26%... that mus be the longest 20 mins of that computers life

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Did you try the suggestion about starting in safe mode ???

8. kurt_angle

yes sir... ill shall try again after this scan finishes

9. kurt_angle

ok well the checkdisk as completed, but safe mode still gets stuck at mup.sys it just won't budge from there... any other suggestions... i know theres the option of reformating but i want to avoid that unless its tottaly desperate times...

ill try all the other options after safe mode... but if safe mode gets stuck at mup.sys ive come to the prediction that so will anything else

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Have you got XP disc or recovery discs for your pc ???

11. kurt_angle

yes, are you suggesting restoring it? i hope not i dont want to really do that

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I wondered what you had

Restoring is a last resort :)

13. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

why not?

there is no harm in trying a SYSTEM REPAIR with the WINDOWS INSTALATION CD.[if you have it]

the system repair will repair only your WINDOWS SYSTEM files without affecting your personal files.

you will not lose your personal data.

14. kurt_angle

ooo damn no no my restore disk tottaly wipes everything... cud i use a windows xp installation disk and do another install?

15. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

of course you can reformat your HARD DRIVE and do a fresh install of the OPERATING SYSTEM...

i recomend that you wait a while..perhaps someone will find a better solution soon.

try doing a SYSTEM REPAIR with your WINDOWS instalation CD.

here is the procedure.

XP Repair install

Please read carefully.

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice