1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabled problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by patrikspongh40, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patrikspongh40

patrikspongh40 Thread Starter

Help I have widows xp and the system restore, firewall,security center, windows installer are all disabled, I enabled them manually except for the firewall and security center because it won't let me, I get an error message. I also can't view any information about my computer it's says something like generic failure.
    Heidi

2. patrikspongh40

Could someone please help me with this?????????????:confused:

3. unbidden

unbidden

The concern is what shut your AV and Firewall down in the first place. Are you running up to dates virus and spyware scans?

Free malware programs here.

4. patrikspongh40

I did run spybot search and destroy which I didn't know I had but that didn't solve any of my issues. I'm having trouble with majorgeeks.com it won't let download any of the anti virus stuff, my virus is not up to date so I tried to install Titanium antivirus only because I happen to have the software but it says I have a version of Norman Virus Control. I can't find it in add and remove programs, I can't find it anywhere on my computer so I am stumped............really!

5. unbidden

unbidden

6. patrikspongh40

I was able to download Ad-Aware SE personal from the geek website, then I download the Norman Virus control uninstaller but that didn't work it still says I have NVC on my computer. Anything else I can try? I really appreciate any help.
    Heidi

7. unbidden

unbidden

Your post:
    Please post the error message here and explain "can't view any information".

Can you reinstall Norman and then try an Add/Remove Programs and proper uninstall. If that doesn't work then you may have to manually delete Norman, but that is not always the best option.

Try running an online virus scan:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    or
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
    ==========================
    Download HiJackThis, run the program and post the log file to this thread. Note that the authors of this forum prefer that someone with a gold shield [​IMG] next to thier name diagnose the log file... so be patient, but try the above online scan.

8. patrikspongh40

Under Help and Support Center:
    Computer Information
    Detailed Computer Information
    Generic Failure only goes to 16%
    Hardware Information
    Generic "Failure only goes to 95
    and so on.
    Thanks for giving me more than one option because the first one never works!
    I tryed housecall that didn't work I thought bitdefender was working then it said something about it failing? I could go ahead and scan for viruses but it might not be accurate. So I am trying to download Norman Virus Control then I will unistall it. That's gonna take a while though. I'm not 100% sure but I think the system restore is staying on now, after my download I will test it. So as far as the system restore it was either spybot search and destroy, Ad-Adware SE Personal or when I went in and enabled the system restore I decreased the amount of disk space. Don't know if that made and diffence or not.
    Heidi

9. unbidden

unbidden

You could try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can run those online scans.

10. patrikspongh40

So I downloaded NVC then uninstalled it. Installed Titanium Antivirus and it worked! My system restore is fixed too. The security center is still down not sure what to do about that. I'm not able to download any windows updates either. Microsoft has a bunch of things I can try one being, going into the registry which I am not comfortable with, I don't really understand the directions.
    Heidi

11. patrikspongh40

12. unbidden

unbidden

Try installing Windows Installer. If that doesn't help with your download issues, refer to the below linked article.

Windows Update Fix (for sp1 + sp2 only) Let us know if you are using the original build/version
    If none of this works, let us know what version of Windows XP you are running.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

I know this is looked down on, but you are wasting a lot of time and I seriously doubt these issues will get resolved. Doesn't mean you won't make some progress here and there and feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Time is money backup what is important and reformat and start fresh...in the long run it will take way less time and produce a better result. my 2 cents!

14. patrikspongh40

So this is where it all started, this my was daughter computer I have two they both used it. They didn't take care of 'of course' they asked me for help when they had a blue screen stop error: 0x000000ED
    unmountable_boot_volume
    Someone said windows was gone and we didn't have the software,so we bought windows xp home edition service pack 2. I used the cd went into recovery and there were files that were corrupted I think? This was about three months ago. Anyway windows came back but I have these problems now. Yeah I know reformatting is the best way to clean your computer but I'm a little scared. So I will try a few more things before that.
    Heidi
    Oh and windows xp was origanally on the computer when it was bought new in.......2001 I think.

15. unbidden

unbidden

Hate to say it, but the unbountable_boot_volume is usually an easy fix. None the less, you still would have needed an xp cd.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice