1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabled Services, Crashed!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by swellfella, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swellfella

swellfella Thread Starter

Following someone's advice I disabled a mess of services and am now paying for it. I can not get on line, I have no sound, I no longer can access Help and Support (an empty, white window!), I can not access any Property menu systemwide, Hardware has vanished in Device Manager, many appls (games, etc.) will not boot, they're missing something--sound, input device (joystick, gameport vanished!).

What's more I can not manipulate menus in the Services to changed them; they're greyed out. Tried to access from Safe Mode, no dice; tried from the Command Prompt, changed a couple but major problems remain.

The question is how do I manipulate the Service settings which effect major computer functions (telephony, internet, sound manipulation, etc.) from within the remaining functions? In a word Heeelp :eek: !

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'd probably try booting to the Recovery Console using the XP CD and then doing a Listsrv command, write down the services and then use the Enable command to enable all of them ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&Product=winxp

Your other option would be System Restore if you can even get to it or get it to run but I suspect they probably had you turn that off too and if I'm not mistaken when it's turned off, the restore points are deleted.

The third option would be to boot to the XP CD, take the first option to "Install Windows ..." and on the next screen you'll see your partition(s) listed. Select the Windows partition and then choose the option to Repair it. But I'm not 100 percent sure if the Repair would turn the services back on.

Anyway, let us know what happens ....

3. swellfella

Bryan--that's it. Went to the msconfig and saw that
    Windows Audio and a few other alphabet soup entries were disabled--which of course you can only enable by reinserting the CD. Thanks. I Just went to Add New Programs/Windows componets where these same appls were blanked out. I re-installed them with the CD and now...bam!...I'm cookin' wit grease! Thanks all. Gotta be more careful foolin with things I don't understand.

4. mach9

mach9

Swellfella:
    I disabled one or two too many services also. Done alot of reading since re this. Apparently Windows is all interlocked, not very modular, and many/most of the dependencies are hidden. Using Thomas C. Greene's book, Computer Security for the Home and Small Office, Chapter 2, Vectors, was safely able to cut down on vast number of services that are safely disabled. It has been an experience. At this point I won't shut down anything without expert advice. I have been properly humbled! :eek:

5. swellfella

'Nuff said!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice