1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disabling annoying message

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cadeau, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cadeau

Cadeau Thread Starter

Windows XP
    There is a "buy me message " for software that pops up on screen when ever windows restarts. If I go into msconfig under what tab would this message be stored under systen ini., win ini., boot ini., services, startup ?? Thanks

2. jmatt

jmatt

See if SpyBot helps .

http://beam.to/spybotsd
    What does SpyBot-Search & Destroy?

SpyBot-S&D searches your hard drive for so-called spy- or adbots; little modules that are
    responsible for the ads many programs display. But many of these modules also transmit
    information about your surfing behaviour and more to the net.
    If SpyBot-S&D finds such modules, it can remove them - or replace them with empty dummies in
    case their host software won't run with its bot removed. In most cases, the host still runs
    fine after removing the bot.
    For a list of 'supported' bots see the feature lists below. The Spybot-S&D interface is so
    easy, that updates just require replacing a file of about 80k in size. Those updates are
    distributed by my software mailinglist, over this page and are also available from inside the
    programs update section.

Another feature of Spybot S&D is the removal of usage tracks, which makes it more complicated
    for unknown spybots to transmit useful data. The list of last visited websites, opened files,
    started programs, cookies, all that and more can be cleaned. Supported are the three major
    browsers Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator and Opera.

Last but not least Spybot-S&D contains some routines to find and correct invalid entries into
    the registry.

Red entries indicate spyware problems that should be fixed to avoid security and/or privacy
    problems. This is the only kind of problem that is preselected to be fixed.

Black entries are system internals. If you do not know what they mean, I would suggest to either
    keep your fingers from it or visit the support forum.

Green entries indicate usage tracks. It can do no harm to remove these.

I personally only remove the Red entries .

Make sure you use the SpyBot > Online > Update button regularly .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice