1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabling e-mail through Exchange Server 2003

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Feral Geek, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feral Geek

Feral Geek Thread Starter

Hello,

I am a novice networking person and I try to save my company some $ by doing some of the networking tasks at work. An employee recently left and they want to disable her e-mail account as well as Outlook Web Access. They want to keep her active directory account enabled until they transfer her files to another folder on the network. I know I can delete the exchange mailbox, but I cannot see a way to just disable it. What is the best way to disable the exchange acoount and Outlook web access without deleting the excahnge mailbox or is that possioble? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Feral Geek

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

to disable OWA for a user you can do this -

1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
    2. If not already select, enable Advanced Features by clicking View | Advanced Features.
    3. Expand the nodes until you have located the user of concern.
    4. Right-click the user and select Properties.
    5. Switch to the Exchange Advanced tab and click the Protocol Settings button.
    6. From the Protocols page, click HTTP.
    7. From the HTTP Protocols Detail page, deselect the Enable for mailbox setting, as shown in Figure 7.
    8. Close out all properties pages and the Active Directory Users and Computers console.

Here is a GREAT link for some other thoughts on ways to make sure they can't access the mailbox.

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid43_gci1119802,00.html

3. Feral Geek

Feral Geek Thread Starter

Thanks Stumped Techy, I appreciate your reply and the link is very helpful. I will follow your instructions. Have a great day!!

Feral Geek

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!