1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabling login feature

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Crius, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crius

Crius Thread Starter

I would like to disable the login in window that appreas on when the computer starts up (where you enter your username and password). All I want is to have the pc start up and go directly to the desktop, since I am the only one that uses this pc.

Thanks.

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

oh oh oh i just did this last night, and it excited me because i fix this all the time when i reinstall windows and i forgot so i tollarated it. it is something one of those security patches did

go into control panel,
    administrative tools,
    computer management,
    go to local users and groups,
    go to guest, right click
    select properties and disable that account.

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

If one turns of the login screen so it goes directly to the desktop, is it reversable?

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

very much so

5. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

My guest user account is already disabled, always has been, I suppose, because I never have messed with it. But I still have always had the login screen.

The only other option I can see would be to go to the "groups" file in that area and remove the guest account, which I see is possible to do. But if I do that, how would I put it back, should I want to, at a future time?

6. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

then go back in and disable every account but administrator and your account.

7. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

That did it, thanks! I had an "ASP.NET" account there, too. Since I have no idea what this is, I figured I didn't need to have it enabled. Once I disabled that one, I no longer have to log in, it just says "welcome" and goes right to the desktop.

Much nicer. Thanks again!

8. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

no problem glad to help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice