1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabling Onboard Sound Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lauraufo, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lauraufo

lauraufo Thread Starter

I'm recently working on my brother-in-law's computer that was given to him. I installed windows2000 professional...i.e. reformatting and removing all old software. Everything so far seems to run great...if you don't plan on having any sound. It appears the sound card is a SoundPro HT1869V+ on board and is not compatable with win2000 nor has drivers to install for win2000. My first question is this....can I disable the onboard sound card and install a new sound card i.e. Creative soundblaster and if so my 2nd question is how do I disable the onboard sound card? Would this be done in bios? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. brianF

brianF

try going to start/settings/control panel/add remove hardware, go throught the uninstall prompts. If you can see the sound chip there you should be able to uninstall or disable it.

Otherwise you can look in the bios for a setting to disable it, some motherboards have jumpers, you would need to check the manual for the machine. And some disable themselves when you install another sound card.

3. lauraufo

lauraufo Thread Starter

brian, thanks for the quick response. When going into bios I assume its under the plug and play PCI settings. You have a choice whether to enable or disable but what I'm not quite sure of. I'll try to uninstall it but I have a feeling everytime I reboot the system its going to claim it found new hardware. I tried installing the new sound card but can't get past it recognizing the old one. So I'm at a red light for now. I'll let you know how it turns out...thanks again.

Laura

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!