1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabling programs before downloading

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grandpaw7, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I've just gotten XP and know less about it than I do about life on Mars. But I want download programs I had on 98 such as PrintKey Pro, Yankee Clipper and a few more. With 98, I recall advice that before downloading I should close out other programs. I see that there are a ton of entries in msconfig startup. I would appreciate some help in knowing to what extent I should go to msconfig and disable items before downloading programs. Thanks, grandpaw7

2. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy

I never bother to close any programs before I download and it's never a problem for me. That said, are you sure it didn't say to close programs before you install a new program. Thats a different issue and and it is something I always do.
    Always do a virus scan before you install ANY downloaded program !

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

With Win 98 and now 2K, I've never closed programs before downloading. Never had a problem.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yankee Clipper works well on XP except for the occasional "stack overflow" error that closes it. So, I made it a service so that it would automatically restart.

Though the recommendation is to shut down all unneeded running programs before installing a program, few actually do it. If files are in use, you will get a restart message to replace them. No need really to shut down programs unless your installer asks you to shut down a specific program.

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I was taken back by the 29 programs listed in msconfig start menu, only about four of which meant anything to me. I was also surprised by the absence of Explorer and the other one that I was told not to disable in 98.

I've also been told that the reason for disabling is to speed startup. So, I'm surprised at your comment that there is not much point to disabling. Perhaps you could comment on that.

I also read on google to about the presence of spyware in the start up menu. I don't recall reading about that sort of thing with 98.

Just to see, I did disable everything in the Startup menu and found that "things" ran very poorly or not at all.

So I'll just keep everything enable and also run Spybot and AdAware.

Thanks, grandpaw7

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might try the Startup Control Panel for controlling what is in the startup menu. It allows you easy access to those things that you actually should control (services should never be controlled in msconfig which is intended as a diagnostic tool--services should be controlled from Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services).

Spyware often starts its programs with system boot, in XP as with 98. A good scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot will remove those entries and the startups that go with them.

But there are always programs that want to place icons in the tray or otherwise be running in the background that don't really need to be until you are ready to use them. The Startup Control Panel and the options of the programs give you control over that.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

The reason that it is advised to shut down running programs before installing is to prevent conflict between the installer and running modules that the installer needs to replace. This is even less of a problem with XP's System File Protection since those apps shouldn't be replacing system files in the first place and SFP immediately undoes these replacements. So running programs during an installation are less of a problem now than they used to be.

Did I address your question?

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Elvandil, I went to download Startup Control Panel (though I'm not sure I know enough to make use of it), and I see I can download two ways, 1) Downlod Startup Control Panel 2.8 (59kb), or 2) Standalone exe version (34kb). I don't know the difference between the two. Would you be able to comment on the difference for educational purposes, and suggest which I should choose? Thanks, grandpaw

To all, I understand now that I needn't worry about disabling programs before installing.

grandpaw7

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

The zipped version is a "standalone" version. When you unzip the file, you must decide where you want to keep it and create any shortcuts that you may want in order to run it.

The exe version has an installer. You install it, it puts the files in a folder in Program Files, and you then operate it from the new Startup applet that will appear in your Control Panel.

9. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

grandpaw7

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!