1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabling Services Does Not Work?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pandimensional, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pandimensional

Pandimensional Thread Starter

How is it that a service like 'Automatic Updates' will start automatically even though it is disabled? I've noticed this same behavior in the past with the Remote Access services that I have disabled.

Also relating to services: Shouldn't disabling 'Fast User Switching Compatibility' and 'Secondary Login' disable the system from switching users and running two or more local users accounts at the same time?

Thank you.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Fast User Switching
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

Secondary Logon
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...s/en-us/sys_srv_secondary_logon.mspx?mfr=true

So therefore in XP

A single computer is often shared between multiple users, Windows XP, makes it easier for users to share a computer using the Fast User Switching feature enabled, it allows more than one user to log on simultaneously at a single computer, for example, if you are currently logged onto a computer, another user can log on to watch movies, without you having to close your open programs and log off. Once the user is finished, you can return to your session where all your programs will still be running.

and to not allow

How To Enable/Disable Fast User Switching XP

Open Control Panel and then User Accounts.
    [​IMG]
    Click Change the way users log on or off option.
    [​IMG]
    Check Use the Fast User Switching check box and now click the Apply Options button.
    [​IMG]
    And on the contrary, if you want Fast User Switching to be disabled, leave the checkmark unchecked in Fast User Switching option andclick the Apply options button.
    [​IMG]

and for automatic updates simply go Control Panel. Security and change the option, as you wish.

That is a lot safer than altering services in Xp.
    Many people do not realise that before they even attempt to alter the startup type of a service, they need to look at the dependencies both that the service itself relies on and that other services rely on.

Basically, in my opinion, tweaking services in XP, with a few exceptions, gains little and stands the chance of creating more problems, than the benefits that are ever gained.

3. Pandimensional

Thank you for your help. Let me be a bit more clear. I am aware of what these two services are for. I was just wondering why if I have them both disabled under 'Services' am I still able to log in and out with multiple users. When I follow the gui instructions that seems to do the trick - disabling it the way I would like it to be disabled.

My question had more to do with the effectiveness of disabling a service on the services list. I have disabled auto updates and it still starts. The same applies to remote control related services.

4. Macboatmaster

Please note - that my advice is not to make your changes in services - for the reason I mentioned.

However, it is your computer of course. Please do not take that as other than the best advice.

If you wish
    [​IMG]

YOU stop the service.
    Having stopped it.
    You then change the startup type.
    You then click Apply and after it has run - you then click OK.

If as on this screenshot the Apply button is greyed out - log in with the admin account.

You will see on the screenshot the dependencies tab, as previously mentioned. That will open two windows
    1. dependant ON
    2. Others depend on

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may be inadvertently turning them back on again. If the Security servie, for example reports a poblem and you tell it to fix the problem, it will automatically restore the update service since it is so critical to system welfare and security.

But why disable services? It won't speed up your machine and reduces functionality. The only really good reason is that you are too short on RAM to have them resident. The update service, in particular, can be set to notify you when updates are available without downloading or installing them until you approve. What's wrong with that?

6. Macboatmaster

Well there you are.
    You now have the same from both of us.

7. Pandimensional

Hello friends,

I'm actually surprised to hear this type of advice being given here. I believe it to be a security prerequisite on XP to disable certain services.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/security/10-services-to-turn-off-in-ms-windows-xp/354

I am well aware of dependencies. In the cases I mentioned there weren't any that would have caused this abnormal behavior. Nor did I use any help functions to repair problems that may have re-enabled services.

You might not be understanding what I am getting at. I am a pretty well versed IT guy. I have disabled services that are starting. Not becoming enabled then starting, rather starting while disabled. If I sent you a screen shot you would get my drift. What's happening shouldn't be possible. Maybe this question belongs under a different topic like security.

8. Macboatmaster

Please understand that we HAD no way of knowing this.
    Therefore, you will appreciate, I am sure, that we can only post our best advice. I had no way of knowing that you were conversant with dependencies.
    For most users the situation with services is as I described and as Elvandil then posted.

Therefore I do not think you should be surprised.

I personally, am not interested in what is posted on the link you provide.
    I could send you many other links, one particularly is dedicated to windows tweaks and has extensive articles on changing services. It shows the default setting, the advised setting and the setting for absolute tweaking.

I do work on another site, but it is not that one.

However to return to your problem
    1. A screenshot would be useful.
    2. With your knowledge, that we are now aware of, it is most suitable for you to disable the services that you know are not required on your computer, or provide possibility of access that you do not need.
    3. The thought in your last paragraph had crossed my mind that is one of the reasons, I asked you to check what the situation was with the Admin acount.

9. Pandimensional

The account I am using has admin rights.

Notice it says "started" right next to "disabled". Kinda funny actually.
    [​IMG]

10. Macboatmaster

It may have, but please log on the sytem admin account, then TRY stopping the service and disabling it.

:)Looks as though you just have

Also as it is showing disabled and started, please check
    1. You can still access system restore and choose a restore point - I do not mean to restore, pls just check that it is available.

2. When you previously posted on another problem if this is the same computer, there were questions regarding memory - ram and on another occasion chkdsk found many errors.
    Have you solved the perceived possible ram/motherboard etc problem.
    What does chkdsk find NOW

3. Pls run a SFC

11. Pandimensional

Funny! :) Yet, what I actually meant was that I haven't met a problem that I couldn't solve with help from this and other forums. I didn't mean that I was so good that I don't need help. In fact, everything I know and every solution that I have come to originated from knowledge given to me by people like you.

I have to scadattle right now, but will get back to this thread when I have the time to follow ur instructions.

Thanks!

12. Macboatmaster

Ok, please do come back, as you need to check the situation with what I have posted particularly in the use of the Admin accouint, and the ability to access system restore.

Also, please check having set the service manual, if you can go to Windows update and obtain updates.
    You do not of course have to install them.

Also see this please
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959894
    It maybe that the checks in this article will enlighten us further as to what is the problem.

Finally
    Having read your previous threads - I hope the IT venture is going well.

13. Pandimensional

Yes, I can do Windows Updates if the Auto Updates service is set to manual, yet only after starting the service manually. Btw - I have nothing against windows updates. This computer is completely updated. I do however have an interest in understanding why this behavior is occurring. It doesn't mean a whole lot in the way of being a hassle in regard to updates rather it is part of my global effort to figure out what is really going on with this computer.

Yes, I can access System Restore.

CHKDSK comes back okay.

SFC is new to me! Thank you for pointing this out. Never knew about it and wonder why it was never mentioned before, like here:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1000027-how-restore-os.html

I'm having trouble running SFC. It indicates that there are issues and that I need to insert the XP Home cdrom, yet it is saying that the CD I'm giving it is wrong. I am absolutely sure it is the right CD. It's a oem copy of XP Home that I got from a computer store down the street. This is the disk I used to install this system just yesterday and I used my legit XP Home serial. Why would it be telling me it's not the right disk? and how could a fresh XP install from yesterday already have file inconsistencies?

14. Pandimensional

I am aware I did not answer your question regarding my other post. Yes, it's the same computer discussed in that other thread. I don't want to complicate this discussion w/ my previous possibly erroneous thinking. If I do have a hardware problem, it seems to be impossible to isolate because if it does exsist, it is intermittent. If indeed it is believed that the problems discussed in this thread could be hardware related then we can go there, yet imo this stuff seems unrelated. This stuff seems a bit more malicious.

15. Macboatmaster

Well it was not mentioned on the other thread because it was not applicable to the question of reinstalling or repair install of Windows.

SFC is system file checker. It checks that all the files are in their correct place and uncorrupted.

If it finds errors it attempts to replace the files with those stored at various places on the hard drive.

If it cannot find the necessary file it then looks to the CD for the original file and replaces it with that.
    As it has replaced it with the original, you shlould then run Windows updates again, as the file from the CD - ie the original may not be the same file as the one from a particular update.

If after installing XP you have then updated to include a SP ie the CD was SP2 and you have now installed SP3 for instance that is why the CD is not the correct one.

HOWEVER, as you say there should not be any system file errors on a new installation.

If you installed using an OEM copy of XP bought or whatever from the local computer store - this may be the problem.

Re chkdsk - did you run it from the GUI or the command prompt and which chkdsk did you run. If it is from the GUI you check both boxes - file system errors and bad sectors. If it is from the cmd prompt type chkdsk /r on the C:
    prompt

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice