1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disabling system restore in WIN 2K

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mset, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mset

mset Thread Starter

hello

I am having some problems with my computer and someone has suggested a fix involving a restart in safe mode. First, however I must disable system restore. My helper thought I was using WIN XP, and of course it's easy enough to get instructions for disabling system restore in XP from Google.

However I can't get a document which tells me how to disable it in WIN 2K. I have found an icon that says system restore in the System Tools folder, but it has a curving red arrow on it and when I click it, I get an error box that says

"The dynamic link library SSRSTL.dll could not be found in the specified path..."

and following that there is a long and strange looking path name.

Can anyone tell me how I can disable system restore in WIN 2K? thanks, Nik

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

3. mset

mset Thread Starter

4. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Yes you could.

But I would do the following:

1) Test in safe mode to see if you can reproduce the issue. If not, then use msconfig to diagnostic the issue.

What is the exact error message and when does it occurs?

5. mset

mset Thread Starter

Ok - you mean the error message that comes up when I can't connect to the Net through my browser even when I have a known good connection to the 'Net?

I go to a page - it loads fine. I then click on a url on that page - at the bottom left of the browser (any browser - I have tried 4 different ones) it says 'Resolving Host www. 12345.com'.... then nothing - then I get a 'Page not found' error message.

Then I close the browser down and re-launch it and... .no load - page not found... so I close it again and re-launch it and.... the page loads great. Then I click on an address from the drop down menu on my address bar and... no load. Same with email clients - work one second, won't connect to the server the next, then works again.

One thing I want to tell you -

I have this little app called Blitzin on my computer, which allwos me to play chess at chessclub.com

Since I have been having these problems with my browser and email apps, I sometimes use Blitzin in an effort to determine that I do in fact have a connection to the 'Net. Usually the app just hooks right up with its server but I have noticed a little hitch since these browser problems started. Today I looked at the window which shows the progress of the connect attempt and there is some text in there which has never been in there before. The app tries to connect, then gives a little pause and then tries again and connects - here's what I see in the window -

'Looking up chessclub.com....
    DNS Lookup failure 11011 WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND: Host not found
    Using cached IP address
    Trying to connect to 65.245.208.34 on port 5081
    Connected"

So here's the thing -
    I have been using this little app for 5 years and I have never seen that text about DNS Lookup failure ever before. I am hoping that this has something to do with my problem or gives you a clue. What is this DNS Lookup failure all about? Why is that happening after years of using this very same app and never having such a failure?

Thanks a lot for taking the time... Nik

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!