1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disabling System Restore in WIN XP PRO SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jojiesal, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jojiesal

jojiesal Thread Starter

AFter installing a new software & rebooting I found out that my firewall and antivirus icons were missing from the sytem tray. I rebooted again and still they were missing. I then found out that they were removed from the startup entries of msconfig(Not listed). So, I then just thought it easy to restore my system to before i intalled the software (Local Cooling). After going through all the steps system restore said that no changes were made and there was nothing then to restore! I checked the startup entries and still my firewall and antivirus are not listed at all.

I then thought of using ERUNT(Emergency Recovery Utility NT). I should have thought earlier to use this because after just a click and a reboot my Win XP is back to normal.

:confused:My question now is will it be harmful to disable sysytem restore in windows XP PRO SP2 and instead use ERUNT and/ or any other recovery software ?

2. Hughv

Hughv

Did you have other restore points to choose from?

If you can predict the type of failure, you'll be fine.
    ERUNT is a registry backup, while System Restore "For example, restore points are created before new device drivers, automatic updates, unsigned drivers, and some applications are installed. These healthy system checkpoints are created without prompting or intervention from the user the first time the computer is started after Windows XP is installed and, by default, on a daily basis after that. You can also manually create restore points."

No harm will be done, but you might lose a valuable tool.

3. jojiesal

jojiesal Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight, Hughv. You have a very valid point there.
    Do you know of any freeware that may possibly be similar to the function of sys restore. So that I may use it in tandem with ERUNT.

4. Hughv

Hughv

The consensus opinion around here is Acronis True Image for backup/imaging. I think you can find a free version for some brands of HD.
    NTbackup is free, and it comes with XP.
    Norton makes something called Go black, but it's not free.
    I've always liked System Restore, and it's saved my bacon a time or two.

5. jojiesal

jojiesal Thread Starter

(y)Thanks again Hughv. I think I'll give system restore another chance and just try to just save space by deleting excess restore points.
    :rolleyes:Now is there any other opinion regarding the benefits using system restore or the possibilty not using it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!