1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

disabling virus program

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mexicano, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mexicano

mexicano Thread Starter

When I am online using aol8.0 I cannot get live tech help says I have to download java virtual machine which takes about 1 minute. When I click on download it just zips through and it does not get downloaded. Aol said it is in my updates and told me where to goto download the xp service pck1. It tells me in the information that having a virus program on could interfere which I do. They said to disable it until the download is complete. How do you do this. I can't figure it out. I have the avg program. It also shows me about 29 critical updates.
    do you really think 'i need them all.This is a brand new tower with xp on it and have not updated anything or don't know if I should really do it.

2. hw45

hw45

Usually with right mouse click on the anti virus program icon in the systray bar. When AVG doesn't have that then right click and remove during your procedure.
    And Anti Virus programs always have to be updated, or they are worth nothing.

3. Huon

Huon

Most of the critical updates are just that, critical. When you get a new system, quite often the installed OS may be a year or so old. It is often too much like hard work for the people who sell you the system to do all the updating! They excuse this by usually saying that they are giving you the "choice" of installing or not. Microsoft say that all the updates are neccessary.
    hw45 is correct. To disable the AV, rightclick on the icon in the tray. Disable should come up as on option for you to click.

4. Flrman1

Flrman1

I would caution you before installing SP1. I installed it and it created loads of problems. It was so bad I had to reinstall XP. You will find there are scores of others that have had a wide variety of problems after installing SP1. I know it supposedly comes with an uninstall feature ,just in case, but it would not uninstall from my computer. Not only that it wiped out all my system restore points. I advise you to wait until they fix SP1.

5. mexicano

mexicano Thread Starter

Know I don't know what to do . Do you really think I should wait? The only problem is I can't get live tech help from aol without it I guess.It says I need the java virtual machine and the aol tech said it is in the sp 1 pk. What should i do ? I had so much problems with my older computer with windows me and only having hard drive of 1 gig. Now this computer has 60 gig hard drive and 258 memory. I don't want anything to happen to this one? You can't right click on the icon it does not give me an option .i right clicked on it in the start button and hit remove this and now dont know how to get it back to the start menu although it is on the desktop. How do you do that. If I removed it that means I would have to download it again. I also don't know how to remove screen savers or turn them off when i scan or defrag if it doesnt have options to do that temporarily

6. Flrman1

Flrman1

You can got to the link below to get Javo VM.

http://java.sun.com/

As far as turning off the screensaver just move your mouse pointer to any blank spot on the desktop and right click click on properties and click on the screensaver tab and set it to "none"

I am not familiar with AVG but I'm sure that somewhere in the configuration there is an option to disable it temporarily.

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

I did not proof read my reply very well. To turn off the screensaver right click any blank spot on the desktop and go to properties then click on the screensaver tab.

It is up to you as to whether you install SP1. There is no doubt in my mind that it is a gamble.

8. hw45

hw45

If you only deleted the "short cuts" to the program then it is still installed and you can get the short cuts back. But when you clicked "uninstall" then you have to download and install again. Can you still see the icon in your tray bar (right on the bottom)? When yes, then everything is ok and the program starts automatically when windows starts.
    When you get problems installing SP1, then you can get support from microsoft here . You type "service pack 1" or "troubleshooting sp1" or similar. But you would have to have a second computer with internet connection.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    i haven't had any trouble with the xp service pack at all. It does fix a lot little problems though. In the cases i have heard that it caused problems are when it was installed on computers that were having problems to begin with. which was not really the fault of the sr-1.

10. Flrman1

Flrman1

I had no problems whatsoever with my computer prior to installing SP1. And you will find right here in this forum others in this category. Like I said I am certain it is a gamble.

11. mexicano

mexicano Thread Starter

In just learning about computers and how they run I dont know which one to pick to download the java virtual machine at this java.sun.com site there are so many selections and not one says just java virtual machine could someone go to this site and look and see which i should select? I dont want to pick the wrong one. When the service pk 1 is fixed, when will i know when it is , and then I download it will it leave out what i already downloaded by that I mean the virtual machine? Where could I look to temporarily disconnect the avg program in the configuration? How would I do that? I do see the virus program in the bar on the bottom right . I do see the avg in the bottom right hand corner. How do I get it back in the start menu? Also when I right cllick on desktop and click properties I do see the screensaver. What or how do I chanor temporarily disconnect it by the minutes or what

How doI

12. Flrman1

Flrman1

This is the Java Virtual Machine Java VM -

13. Flrman1

Flrman1

It looks like the limk to Java VM is not working but if you go to the link I provided to Sun.com above you will see on the right "Popular Downloads" the second down is Java VM that is the one you want.

As to the screensaver like I said right click the desktop got to properties select the screensaver tab and in the dropdown box that shows the various types of screensavers you have a choice for choose "none".

I am not familiar with AVG so I'm not sure what to tell you there but right click the tray Icon and open the program you should see options to disable and options to load on startup in there somewhere.

14. mexicano

mexicano Thread Starter

Thanks I downloaded the java machine and the aol tech works just fine now as for this when I right click on the icon in the bottom right it shows shut down program. This would mean temporarily disconnecting it correct? Thanks for all your help.Am I missing something by not downloading the service pk 1? I want to wait until it is fixed actually I dont know what is in there that I do not have. Dont understand it

15. hw45

hw45

Service Packs fix security holes and bugs cos when Windows or other software release then it's full of that and the user is beta tester.
    Security holes: cracker use that holes to try to come into your system and so it's better to be always up to date.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!