Disabling WMP in explorer so it won't play mpegs and mp3s

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

windozer

Hi all,

I use Win2000 and i'm cursing and swearing like crazy. Why?

Everytime I'm in My Music or Movies folder and I want to rename my files or just move files accross...the windows media player on the left wants to start hijacking it and previewing it in explorer. its REALLY annoying! It stops me from being able to move things because windows wants to play it. If i want to rename the files i'm stuck waiting for it to stop playing.

ie

See how i've clicked on an avi and on the left the player has started?

I always put my view mode in "details"

How do i disable it? I've tried going to Tools--->Folder options but there seems to be nothing telling it to stop prevewing mp3s or mpegs/avi etc

This has to be something that you added with a tweaking program or as part of another application. It doesn't happen to other people with Win2000. Do you have a tweaking program installed?

In folder options, what is the default action?

Take a look at this program. It will show you all the add-ons that have been made to the context menu, drop handlers (a likely possibility), property sheet handlers, etc. It may be tedious, but you may just be able to find what did this in this lsit and then you can right-click and disable it.

http://freehost14.websamba.com/nirsoft/utils/shexview.zip

If this is a shell function, it won't help, but you might also look in the Task Manager when this happens to see if any particular program is starting and initiating this action.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online