Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disapearing DSN numbers

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  wonderland 
#1 ·
What gives? We have a wireless Linksys system with a G router and G wireless card in the computer having problems. A month or so ago we kept losing the connection and LinkSys recommended putting in the DSN numbers for the connection. They thought that some of the security and spyware protection programs might be interfering with the automatic detection settings. We did that and it seemed to work ok for a while. Now

In the last three days the Network Properties TCP/IP properties, the DSN numbers keep being erased. The TCP/IP setting for the wireless adapter is not there either.

Anyone have any idea what could be up? How do you get the wireless card specific TCP/IP listing back?

#2 ·
First of all I'd go to the security area of TSG and follow there instructions on getting rid of spyware. There are some great threads there that walk you through the process. Then go to linksys's website and find the newest version of its driver for your wireless card and install it and see if you still have any problems.

#3 ·
when we had problems last month we up loaded the latest drives. And I have the spyware protection recommened in the secuirty forum loaded on the machine. It is the protection that Linksys throught was interfering with the automatic detection settings. (I have 4 teenagers - the security section is my savior!!!)

#5 ·
Linksys did not mention any specific names. On the computer we have Spy-bot, Spyware Blaster and Spyguard. Also regularly run Ad-Aware and Regvac. But yesterday I disabled everything and the DSN numbers still disapear. Could it because there is not a specific TCP/IP listing for the linksys wireless card?

How do I add it to the properties?

#8 ·
Nic is network card. You right click network neighborhood then right click local area connection (Wireless Network card) Go to tcp/IP properties for the card. Instead of choosing Obtaining address automatically choose Use the following IP Address then put in an address from the range that the linksys router is assigning (usually 192.168.0.xxx) don't use 192.168.0.1 as the router uses that one pick something like 192.168.0.22. The range could be 192.168.1.xxx. You can find the current address by using ipconfig /all at the command prompt for & 2000 or Start > Run msconfig for 98. Put in the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the default Gateway shown by the above mentioned commands. Then put in the DNS info by selecting the button Use the following DNS server address choose OK.
See what happens now.

#9 ·
the TCP/IP for the card disapeared. but we have been putting the DNS number is the plain TCP/IP properties and it will run for a little. We will try putting an IP address under IP addresses then see what works. Just love it when everything works well for months then starts doing weird things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.