1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disappearing AOL Folders Within Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by thalcli, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thalcli

thalcli Thread Starter

I have been syncing my AOL email with a local install outlook application (I am not not on exchange) for many years. I save emails within numerous folders and sub folders inside AOL. Today all of those folders and the e-mails they contain disappeared entirely, without warning or apparent cause. I have 6 other e-mail addresses (not aol) in the same Outlook app and none of the folders in those accounts were affected.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you set up to use POP or IMAP type of email access?

If IMAP, then they are controlled by the server.

3. thalcli

thalcli Thread Starter

AOL and gmail set up automatically and effortlessly inside Outlook. When you look at the advanced settings, yes, it is IMAP. So when you say, the "server", you mean AOL itself? I have an outstanding query into AOL's customer service and have offered to pay but have not heard anything thus far.

I've been trying to recover by importing the back-up ost file without success. Also, I tried to export the pst file from a second computer that has the folders but when I try to import it says I don't have permission, despite the fact that I've set the permissions to "everyone" in the source file.

Any other ideas.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!